We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

We would like to spend a couple of days at a beach during our Orlando vacation in late June. Which is the best beach for a family of four (2 children, ages 12 and 16)? Daytona or Cocoa? How long is the drive from Orlando, and is anyone aware of any hotel deals?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

Me too, we fancy Daytona/Cocoa/Ft Lauderdale for a change next month.

We like Clearwater and have stayed at the Clearwater Beach but it is getting remodelled for 2007. We have been all about the caribbean Jamaca St Marten Virgin Islands Cancun Cuba and we like Clearwater beach best, especially to watch the sunset and go to the artisans market at the peir.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn - it was tired; Shepards was good but not near the best part of the beach.

It takes just over an hour to get from our villa in Southern Dunes to Clearwater.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

For a family atmosphere, I would recommend Cocoa Beach over Daytona Beach. Daytona has a reputation for being a little rowdy, especially with things like bike week and the wild spring break parties. Plus Cocoa Beach is much closer to Orlando (a 45 minute ride as opposed to well over an hour - depending on the undependable I-4 traffic). I usually stay at the Doubletree in Cocoa Beach, but there are a lot of very nice hotels there.

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

we prefer Daytona to cocoa beach as there are lots of other things to do if you are there all day the beach rentals are very fairly priced, ther is the pier where you can rent out rods and do some fishing $12 inc bait there are some good restaurants especially by the small new mall where there is a seafood place called Forrest Gumps Johnny Rockets etc excellent lifeguards and we have never suffered with traffic on the

I-4 it takes under the hour with no traffic from I Drive and you could also take in the trip around Daytona USA racetrack which is brilliant. Parking is perfect there is a new multi-storey by the new mall £6 all day and a walkway staright through the mall to the beach

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

I wouldnt go to either except to fish.

Daytona is tacky and your more likely to get knocked down on the beach then crossing the road. Cocoa is OK but nothing special and the water is much cooler then the Gulf beaches.

For and extra 20 min travel you can get to St Pete's Beach, Pass o Grill or the Best beach on the Americian Mainland at Fort de Soto. On the Gulf coast if you happen to be there when there is a stiff breeze you can always find a sheltered beach or cove. not so on the atlantic coast where the beach is one long strip.

The gulf beaches are much better with their white coral sand beaches, They are good for bathing and the water is much warmer, and good fro shelling, they are also less prone to undercurrants.and long shore drift.

I personelly think the hotels,/ resorts

at St Pete's are much better along with the beaches and general abiance.

Go West, Miss the rest.

NY
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

we went to cocoa beach a week ago...It was much nicer than we imajined. It was busy but not too bad walk a little bit you get to areas where there is hardly anyone it is nice and there are shops there that are cool to go in RONJON etc...NICE PLACE!

NY
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

we went to cocoa beach a week ago...It was much nicer than we imajined. It was busy but not too bad walk a little bit you get to areas where there is hardly anyone it is nice and there are shops there that are cool to go in RONJON etc...NICE PLACE!

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

I would have to agree that the Gulf coast is my favorite over the Atlantic, but the OP was specific in comparing Daytona to Cocoa. Actually, I'm headed to Cocoa Beach tomorrow afternoon for a couple days. I've only been during off season, so I'm curious how it will be during Spring Break. Thank goodness for room service!

I would also have to disagree that it's an easy drive to Daytona. That depends entirely on the time of day you make the trip. During rush hour, especially right now while there is so much construction on I-4 north of the tourist corridor, the traffic can be a real gridlock. The drive to Cocoa Beach is so much shorter and unless there's a shuttle launch, is never as busy as I-4.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

What does Gordon mean about Clearwater being remodeled???

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

Stay at the gulf cost. St Pete's is great. Don't like either Daytona or Cocoa as they are run down and quite dirty (compared to Gulf).

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
296 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach

I agree, go to the gulf beaches...Clearwater, St. Pete area.