We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

I am learning more and more each day it seems regarding our WDW planning for October 2012. We are a family of 5, and the 3 children are boys who will be 13, 12, and 5 when we travel.

I posted a couple of days ago regarding a resort that would be nice but not tear a hole in the wallet. I got some very informative response and thought we were settling in on the Port of Orleans - Riverside.

The more we plan though, the more we begin to consider raising the budget restriction on a resort which would allow us to consider the Deluxe resorts.

With that background, which of the following resorts would be best for our family's first WDW trip if budget was not a limiting factor: Boardwalk Room, Yacht Club Room, Port of Orleans - Riverside room, or a Cabin at Fort WIlderness? Perks of the resort would probably be more important than space. I can see us spending time (maybe a full day or two) at the resort and out of the parks, and swimming on those times would be a must. (My 5 year old does not know how to swin yet, so young kid pools are a perk especially if they also have bigger pool areas for the teen/tween two.) Convience of getting to the parks (We plan to visit all 4 but expect the MK to be our favorite) is a nice perk as well for us to value.

Opinions?

pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

The Boardwalk Inn is a lovely Resort but the ride to MK is long, you will share a bus with 4 other Resorts, that adds to the ride time

Not a fan of the Yacht Club with kids, quick dining options are limited and again, that bus ride to the Mk is long

The Vabins at Ft Wilderness are great, plenty of space and very convenient to the MK. Transport to the other 3 Parks can take a bit of time, you need to take an Internal Bus to the Depot and then get your Park Bus. The Cmpground itself is very fun for the kids, plenty of things to do on a down day. One of the nicest perks is that when you are there, you feel miles away from the Parks, very relaxing

I will still suggest POR as an ideal Resort for the kids, already posted that I think.

If budget is not a factor I might add the Polynesian as an option, it sleeps 5 and is so very close to the MK. One of the nicest perks we enjoy is that the food court is open 24 hours, that comes in handy if you have stayed at the Parks til the wee hours of the morning :)

Would suggest looking into the DVC point rental for a Villa, did I offer that suggestion before, can't remember :(

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

Thanks again partypapa. You should be getting consulting fees from Disney in my opinion. You have definitely helped clear our muddy water concerning the planning of this vacation. The POR looks very appealing to us. One concern is "double beds" though. It's a little contradictory on the POR link you sent. One area I read makes it sound as if the renovations will upgrade all rooms to queen beds, but then another area makes it sound as if the rooms for 5 person capacity will continue to have double beds. The other area that had us wondering if it would be justified to step up to a luxury resort was the pool and other kid activities. Pictures do not always tell the true story, but the Boardwalk looked to be more enjoyable for the kids during downtime from the pictures on Disney's website.

You mentioned the long ride to MK from the BW and YC. How are the rides to parks from POR?

You did mention renting DVC points for a Villa and linked a site. I went to the site but got a little nervous with "renting points." How safe is that? It seemed as if I am relying on the DVC owner to make my reservation. DO they make the reservation under my name or their name? Is their a risk to a DVC owner taking your rental money and running? I hate that those ideas pop into my head, but in this day and age, it's hard to keep those ideas out of your head.

Long story short, I guess I am still extremely uneducated regarding the DVC point rental option and a little cautious to explore it. I'll give the website you suggested another look tonight.

Edited: 06 January 2012, 22:07
pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

All the rooms at POR will, in the end, have Queen size Beds, end date is unknow at present, at least to me

The Boardwalk Inn does have a great evening atmosphere, the Boardwalk itself is right outside your door and offers a few perks that other Resorts don't have, the dining options are great, the entertainment is great too but you can go visit even if not staying there. My last stay at the Boardwalk was in September, no kids that trip and I spent alot of time observing people on the buses to the Parks, the ride to MK had the most moans. The ride itself, with stops at the other Resorts can take up to a half hour. Another negative about the Boardwalk is the Lack of a food court, there is a Bakery but other than that, it is Table Service for Breakfast. That isn't always in the budget and can take too much time

POR has wonderful Family feel to it, we even let the kids ( over 9,) go off to the food court alone, the Arcade, the play areas and even for a bike ride. The bus is pretty quick to the MK, maybe 10 minutes depending on which Bus stop you get on. One night we left the MK after midnight, the bus ride was so fast we were in our room and the kids hit the bed in less than 10 minutes total ( there are some back roads the buses take that late at night )

Renting points takes alot of trust, on both parties. The owner does make the reservation in your name and some will do a 3 way call so you can be in on all the arrangements. There is also David's Vacation Club Rentals, very reliable, all on the up and up, his prices per point are a little higher than a private owner but you might feel more secure and you would still be saving $. More info about that if you want

Funny you should say I should get Fees from Disney, there are some people on the forum that think I do. I don't of course, just really enjoy Disney and visit as often as I can. Only had 4 Trips last year, ( I know, a bit spoiled ) can't wait to go back !

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

For best pool, the Beach/Yacht Club resorts, win hands down!

Magic Kingdom resorts would also be great. Wilderness Lodge & Polynesian would get my vote, with a family of boys. If budget permits, I think you would prefer a deluxe resort, over POR.

Happy planning!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

partypapa (or anyone who knows),

Does the POR have a gym/fitness center or at least access to one guests can use? I didn't mention that in my first posts, because I sort of assumed it would be "standard" in all resorts. I can't see one listed at POR, so I'm thinking I may have made a bad assumption.

If it doesn't, which would be you next suggestion for a family of 5 in which they had a gym/fitness center?

pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

POR does not

This added request does change suggestions, from me anyway

I might be inclined to look further into the DVC point rental for Villas at the Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge. All three have good fitness Centers

The Polynesian doesn't have a Fittness Center but you have access to the one at the Grand Floridian

Coronado Springs has one as well. They have Deluxe Rooms but can't think off the top of my head if those rooms sleep more than 4. Will go search a bit

pa
Level Contributor
54,408 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

A jr. Suite at Coronado Springs sleeps 6

It's a great Resort :)

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2568966

Edited: 09 January 2012, 14:19
Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,433 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

Transport is a little harder from there than some other choices, but with 3 boys of those ages I still think in this instance the cabins at Ft. Wilderness may be the best solution.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

partypapa - I did research the villas a little further but I don't see the cost advantage of those. It would require around 190 points to get a villa which would be large enough for us, and the rental cost of this would exceed a standard view room for 5 persons at a deluxe. I realize this is not comparing apples to oranges, but the added convenience of a suite is not worth the extra cost to my wife and myself.

It seems you prefer the Poly over the YC or BC. What does the Poly have which makes you prefer it over the YC or BC?

Kat_Cubs_fan - Do the Cabins offer access to a gym/fitness center?

Anyone - Is there a local gym (does not have to be Disney associated) within a few minutes of the POR in which non-locals can buy memberships by the week?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BW, YC, Cabins, POR if Budget is not a factor?

The Yacht/Beach has a nice gym and the pool is wonderful. Stormalong Bay has a mini-water park for the big kids and a nice kiddie pool (with a small slide and sandy play area) for the non-swimmer. We're not big fans of the Boardwalk pool.

I like the Polynesian for the ease of transportation there-you're just a monorail ride away from the Magic Kingdom and within walking distance of the monorail to Epcot. Transportation between the Epcot Resorts and the Magic Kingdom can be a bit of a haul. The Poly also has 'Ohana and Kona Cafe-two very family friendly restaurants as well as a decent food court.

I believe rooms at the Poly are larger, especially in the Tokelau building.