We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Hi - travelling to Florida April 2012 & need to stay in Orlando for a night prior to heading for Tampa & Gulf Coast. Any recommendations for a hotel close to Orlando International greatly appreciated. I need a family room & close to restaurant / shopping mall appreciated. Also, any recommendations for Tampa accommodation......

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

First of all, what time does your flight land? With 5 hours jet lag, if you arrive afternoon you'll be safe to drive a short distance such as 25 mins.

I suggest getting a room in the DTD area of LBV or in the Crossroads are up the road. this gives you the option of a ticket-free shopping and dining experience with a small Disney flavour or just walk to the nearby restaurants and minigolf at CR. This area is just off exit 68 of the I4 so easy access in the morning to head off to the gulf. Last time i did this I used the Country Inn and Suites listed below.

Family room- for how many? 4 people? all in one room, or 2 rooms (ie a suite hotel)? there are a couple of options in that area from Doubletree DTD, to Staybridge Suites, Country Inn and Suites, Courtyard by marriott.

As for Tampa/gulf. Why Tampa? it is a big city but not a beach area? If you want to be on a beach we need to knwo more. Such as high rise hotels and boardwalk atmosphere? Or low rise low key and nature? How long? Would you want a hotel, or would a 2 bed condo aprotment on the beach be better? What time of year?

Wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Deat amanx - many thanks for your detailed response.

I arrive late afternoon, but do not want to drive very far. In fact it is preferable for me to stay at hotel that offers a shuttle service & have my hire car delivered to the hotel the following day. As a disabled traveller I am well aware of my limitations which is why my post asked for a recommendation for an airport hotel.

Also, I do specifically want to stay in Tampa & have no interest in staying close to a beach.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

The Intercontinental Tampa hotel is close to some of the shopping malls and nearby to the downtown area.

Which airline are you flying with to MCO?

Wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Flying with Virgin....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

You can stay at the hotel In the airport, but you would be restricted to the restaurants before security. there are some nearby airport hotels, but none are near any good shopping and dining. No car hire companies will deliver to you that I know of, you'd have to go all the way to the AP.

The place I told you to go (which is fast and easy to get to) is only around 25 mins max. And given UK visitors wake as early as 2 am and most by 5 am you would have to wait for the shuttles to start running, and for the car rental place to open (don't think it is 24 hours there- not sure). Instead of getting in your car and heading off early when the sun is up. As you did not mention being disabled, there was no way to take this into acct.

If you really don't want to pick up your car, then do let the car desk know when you g et there you will pick up next day (you don't want them to cancel it thinking you were a no show) you could even get the keys and maps etc, and do stay actually in the hotel At the airport.

As for Tampa, what do you want to do and see there? Some beach areas have special sand chairs to use, depending on your disability.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

I'll second the airport hotel - Hyatt. It can be pricey but its in the airport so you can get your car directly.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

I love the Hyatt at the airport. It can get kind of pricy sometimes, but not always. So, it's at least worth a look. Outer rooms with balconies are the best, so you can sit out enjoying the weather (hopefully) and watching the planes. Other than that, I think most of the hotels just North of the airport get good reviews. They should all have shuttles.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,508 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Not knowing your budget, I'll just give you this link: http://www.mcohotels.com/

Most (if not all) have free shuttles to/from the airport and are located a very short distance away. There are many restaurants to choose from.

I agree with your decision not to drive on your day of arrival. You will do much better and will drive more safely after a good night's sleep.

Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

We had an unexpected extra night in Orlando because of a 24 hour delay to our flight and were put in the Florida Mall hotel. It was lovely!!

It is attached to the mall which had an M and M shop (a big bonus!!!) plus loads of other great shops.

It had a lovely pool and the rooms were really nice (we had a family room for 2 adults and 2 children)

Would guess that the best rates are online direct from them - they are always sending me emails with offers!!

Is this any help? Hope so!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,601 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please recommend hotel close to MCO

Not the best area, esp after dark IMHO.