We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cheaply can we get there?

newcastle
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How cheaply can we get there?

Hi all, beginning to look at possibly going to Disney either later this year or early next year. I was just wondering how cheap a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids aged 7 and 5), could do the whole trip for, ie flights, hotel, car hire, tickets and spending money, a trip of either 10 or 14 nights. I hear people saying they have got a really good deal, but what would a really good deal be? Whats the cheapest time of the year to go? Thanks for any help.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

we always go in sept, travelrepublic IMO, have the best prices, and selection that i want . i use Dollar or Alamo for car hire, and pay for parks at the gate,

London, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

have a look on travel city direct website, they have some good deals at the moment, i always get a package- hotel, flight and car hire,

and for park tickets look on american attractions

i think you will find that beginning of the year is the cheapest but in my opinion it is too cold, they close the water parks quite a lot due to the weather, we now go every other november,- prices are good, weather has always been good to us-no rain and the parks are not overly busy.

good luck it takes times and patience to find the perfect holiday to enjoy the searching :))

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
193 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

September or early November are good times to go, Where would you like to stay? Disney? International Drive? Kisimmee? Lake Buena Vista?. Expedia had some good deals for hotels on Idrive including virgin flights. If you want to stay at Disney there is a free dining offer on right now check out www.travelcitydirect.com I find them to be quite reasonable. We always stay on International Drive as we like the variety and the option to eat at other restaurants (we do love Disney though). But it's all down to personal preference.

pa
Level Contributor
54,105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

Welcome to the forum

If your Destination is Disney, have a look at the Free Dining Offer, very nice deal, a complete package makes the Holiday Stressfree IMHO of course

…disneyinternational.com/Special-Offers.asp…

September and October are both great times to visit for lower crowds, that makes it more enjoyable

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

Travelcitydirect are good prices and fully inclusive car hire is included.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

One of the ways to keep the cost down is to fly from your local airport. Thompson fly from Newcastle , Possible Thomas Cook and maybe Monarch. Continental from Edinburgh, this will keep your travel costs down a bit. Go on to Travelsupermark. and enter your preferred airports . May and September through to 3 weeks Oct are good times to go usually good weather , not unbearable . most of kids in school cheaper prices.

If you insist on going in school holidays prices are at their highest. Accommodation Travelsupermarket.com . Travel republic. doesn't matter where you stay if you have a car. Lake buena vista is one of the nicest areas and you can get good hotel rooms for as low as £40 a night some will include breakfast for all of you . Here is some nice at the price ones. Courtyard by Marriott Palm Parkway. LBV. Fairfield Inn Marriott village. LBV Blue Heron Beach. LBV Country inns & suites Calypso Cay Kissimmee . Hire a car with a fully inclusive insurance.(do not be tempted with free car offers) a 4 door compact will be more than adequate from uscarhire.co .uk will give you an all inclusive rate (about £200) and you will only have to pay for fuel on its return (About £30) . It will also give you 2 drivers as standard ,and allow you to a secure a car on £25 deposit. There are no cheap Disney tickets. Busch / Universal have 2&3 park combos which are more reasonable.

See how you get with your dates on flights car and accommodation , and book them in that order. Us a CC and pay off as you please one your main holiday bits are in places . Just in case anything goes wrong.. Keep luggage to a Min. don't pack towels. electrical items these are provided.. Shampoo , sun creams etc . these heavy products eat into your small luggage allowance.you can buy them there better and cheaper. Don't over pack clothes, all hotels have laundry facilities. just take a box a bold 2 in one tabs 3-4 changes of clothes is as much as you need. shouldn't need any cold weather gear at all.

Then you will have more luggage allawance to bring stuff home.

newcastle
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

Thanks for replies, Travel City work out at approx £3000, plus then would need tickets an spending money, so I suppose realistically we would be looking at £5000????? Oh I dont know??? Its either that or pay £2000 for all inclusive to somewhere like menorca??

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

If you once go to Florida, you will not want to go back to Minorca.

One of the problems with Holidays in Florida is it is comparatively cheap to fly there (considering the distance involved) Accommodation and food is cheap . Its the parks tickets which make it expensive. You could go to the west coast states and have a stunning day every day of your stay for considerably less.. It only a $100 for every member of your family to see every National park in the country every day of the year , And you can see a different free show on the Las Vegas strip every night for a week or more. My kids have never forgotten their first view of the Grand Canyon, stood on the edge of a 2,000 drop and massive hole 18 miles wide. And being in Alcatraz prison , and stood on the Golden Gate Bridge. The youngest was only 7 at the time. Disney parks are only secondary memories/ dreams / not real ,for them.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

Mumof2newcastle.; I can well understand your Spending money concerns???????? .

Sadly these last 3-4 years Destination Florida has gone up considerably. Mainly Flights, Passenger air Duty, and taxes. So much so its becoming ridiculous. Out of a £500 fare £241 of it goes on None flying issues. Airlines often get less than half we hand over to them to transport us 8,400 miles.

During this time many who have Florida on their wish list, millions have lost their jobs,houses, and business. those still left in a job are either on reduced wages, short time. or job sharing. No longer do we see 4 Virgin planes at MCO "every day" with other somertime extras coming from other airports. 7 My Travel aircraft. 4 first choice, 5 Thompson & 3X 747 from TCD parked on the ramp at Orlando Sanford.. Services have also been reduced by all the American & European carriers.

But this has not stopped Disney routinely putting its prices up each year.

Now a family of 4 like yours needs about £1,600 for a park tickets alone on a 2-3 holiday.

I am not anti Disney , and I do like it , and take my kids and grand children. But i also regard Disney as " Money Vulture " scavenging on the less well off no matter.

When it too 3 years ago got rid of thousands of staff ,(which it has a reputation of not paying very well )

was still making Millions profit each year.

Its running costs will not have gone up much during this time and had they considered the greater public and taken a lead not to put up prices sometimes I am sure they and all the other business in the Orlando area would have had many more visitors.

These routine prices increase as the world gets poorer is a big put off for many . Just like yourselves considering buying a 2 week holiday somewhere else for £500 more than you will need to just buy park tickets.

I say to you now if you want to take your kids do it now it wont becoming any cheaper anytime soon. And every child should experience Disney at least once . Particularly as a child. You need to "Splash the Cash" if only once.

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How cheaply can we get there?

you can get a Disney hotel Pop Century or All stars which in my opinion are great. for September 13th (this way kids back at school for a while before taking them out again). I always have done this ! best time to go ! No queues and very hot. For £700. Then you need to think about flights, in the sale you can get Virign for around £500 each so that adds another £2000.

Then food, I would allow £300 easy !!!! You do not need to eat posh meals, this would be basic

Then passes around £1000 so we are up to £4000 without spending money so I guess you would be looking at around £5000.

Unless you look at a package,