We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Hi - We are going on our first trip to Disney. We are thinking 4/25-4/29. I am overwhelmed with lots of questions but let's start with where to stay!

We are possibly driving, if that matters, but would like to stay on Disney Property.

It's just me, my husband and our 2 year old. We need a place that he can take a nap and we can go back in the action or enjoy a nice pool! I would love something with a kitchenette, I would think it would save on $$ for food, but not sure how much more $$ that costs. The other issue is a separate area for our little guy to take a nap....

Any advice is appreciated!! I did have someone tell me to "rent" points for someones time share..

Thanks in advance!

Boston...
Level Contributor
865 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Try the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas , or Safari View Rooms, or the Polynesian, also any of the value resorts are good (but they aren't as many amenities as the higher expensive ones)(ALL Star Music, Sports, Movies, Pop Century, etc.) Could try FT Wilderness lodge too. The Contemporary is expensive but fun because you are right at the Monorail Station. (there are park/lake view rooms, and inner court/monorail view rooms where you can see the monorail from your balcony..and window.

pa
Level Contributor
53,895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

I would first have a look at what each Disney Resort has to offer

http://allears.net/acc/resortvids.htm

Budget of course will play a part. On such a short trip a kitchenette and 'taking naps' part may not need ro be a priority. Time will zoom by while you are there and you will be amazed how much energy your little one has, naps may not happen, just a warning.

There is a room discount offer right now, needs to be booked by Jan 22

You could also rent points from a DVC member for a nice Disney Resort Villa, that can save quite a bit of money. More info if needed

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Thanks! My husband just talked to someone who suggested staying off-site. He said the resorts, pools and everything is nicer and more reasonable. Can I get any feedback? I think the most important thing for us will be some sort of a separate bedroom setup for our son. I am sure we will probably not be taking the usual scheduled nap, but he really is a nap kid so some naps will be needed for sure. After hearing on here and other places, it sounds like a kitchen may not be something we use so that is not a priority. I would also like a nice pool for some pool fun!

Thanks again!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
865 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Anything around Maingate is good or International Drive. Try for one that has a hotel shuttle to the parks :-) and local area attractions

Both areas have some local bus service LYNX that offer routes to Downtown Disney and the TTC (Ticket and transportation )

Boston...
Level Contributor
865 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Try Lake Buena Vista as well

Atlanta
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Bring a nice comfy stroller and he can take a nap in there while you stroll around the parks. Worked great for my kids.

My tip to you is when our kids were that young we would not do parks on back to back days. Find a place with nice pools/activities and just chill at the hotel for a day in between. For us it was a much better alternative vs. paying a fortune in tix for the day and dragging cranky tired kids around the park. The Hilton and Marriott vacation clubs are very nice properties.

Boston...
Level Contributor
865 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Still look into the Value resorts like All Star Music, Movies, Pop Century, And All Star Sports

They are ON property but affordable around $84-100 a night for a room.

They are no frills but still pretty good, you can take Magical Express (with reservations) (from the airport) and there's Disney Bus service to the parks.

But the International Drive/Lake Buena Vista/or Maingate areas would be good too

Boston...
Level Contributor
865 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Also if you are on All star resort you can use the facilities at all 3 of the hotels.

at least thats what I heard

pa
Level Contributor
53,895 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

Not so sure about off site being nicer. Disney Reaorts are Swell, IMHO and you get all the Disney Perks, you don't even need a car or private transport, Disney Disney does the driving for you, all free. Staying on site will make it much easier to get back for a nap or whatever. If budget is a concern, the All Star Music suites have a separate bedroom, as do the Fort Wilderness Cabins. If budget isn't a concern and you would like to stay in a Villa for alot less than rack rate, the DVC point rentals may be a good alternative

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Disney Vacation as family! Where to stay??

There are many nice hotel or resorts in Lake Buena Vista..Since it will be just the 3 of you..you can pretty much stay anywhere..We are a family of 5 and tried to stay on Disney Value but they only hold 4 pr room as well as most of the closest hotel..but there are a few that will give you a bit more room and not break the bank....you should also know that almost ALL of the local hotel charge for something call the "Resort fee's" they can be as high as $10.00 pr day as well as parking..yes thats right..even as a paying guest of a hotel you will be charged to park your car. We discovered prices that ranged from $8-$18. daily!!! OUCH!..so you really need to do your homework..that special rate won't seem so special when you have an extra couple of fees tacked on..We are headed there in July and we will be staying in Lake buena vista on World center Dr. we are 2.5 miles from disney and 5-8 minutes from Downtown Disney..we found a place that has free parking, no resort fee's includes a full american breakfast (with eggs to order) and also offers shuttle buses to all 4 Disney parks as well as an eveing bus to Downtown Disney..its a 2 room suite (2 queen beds in the bedroom along with a 37 inch flat hdtv and in the living room there is a 42 in along with a couch convertable , a mini fridge, coffee maker and a microwave..along with a pool..small but nice..there is also I think 2-3 rest on site..-24 hour room service and charging privledges at the resort next door ( The Caribe royal)..not sure this is what your looking for..but we are on a tight budget and we were able to secure al this for 99. pr night!..I keep looking at more luxurious locations..(with balconys ect) but like my hubby says we will never be there except to swim & take an afternoon break and at night to sleep..with 3 kids we need the micro & fridge..along with coffee in the room! We were close to booking Port Orleans riverside but at $1000 more with 1/2 the room and no breakfast included...it was a no brainer. good luck let us know how you make out and what you decide