We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Hi everyone, I am looking for some expert advice on our trip to WDW. I will try to be brief as to what we are trying to plan. My DH and I are retired and will be traveling w/ our DD, SIL and 2 gdaughters (5 & 3). We are looking to find accommodations Aug. 17-23 (6 nights) at an affordable resort. WDW is a bit on the high side for our daughter's budget. I am told that this is considered "prime or high" season. We thought that it would be a good time to visit as a lot of the kids are gone back to school. My daughter is a teacher so the reason we are going during summer season, we cannot go any later than this date. She will be heading back to teaching the last week in Aug.

We have been looking at non-WDW resorts w/in WDW. One of the resorts is Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Reviews seem to be good, it has tons of amenities, etc. We can cook and/or do takeout and same some money by not eating in the park. It does have bus transportion to WDW parks but don't know how frequently or dependable the busses would be. We hoped not to rent a car. There are some negative reviews.

I have been looking at timeshare rentals through VRBO sites, etc. Prices for a week seem ok but get different prices from everyone I have contacted. I understand that you don't know where you will be staying until you check in. I would like to pick the building we want to stay at and also make sure our units are in same building and/or on same floor. We are looking at 2 rentals: 1) 2 br. for our family; and 2) 1 BR for my husband and myself. We would prefer our own space! LOL

If anyone that has stayed there can shed some light on the rental procedure, it would be much appreciated. I am also told that it is cheaper to wait and book rentals 60 days prior to your stay.

I would like suggestions for eating, bringing food into park (water, PBJ sandwiches, etc.) to save money. Where to eat near BC?

If there anything for restaurants that is walkable from BC or do we need to rent a car?

Thanks so much for any advice. My husband & I have been to WDW b4 but our family has not.

One more question, please! Does anyone know when or if the WDW free dining plan becomes available for August? Also any WDW hotel specials and when? We would consider w/in the park if we knew there were specials coming along.

May

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Staying at BC you would need a car to go out and about

It's a nice hotel but not very Disney, IMHO

There has been a very nice deal for Free Dining in the past, Mid August - end of September, for Disney Resorts. One of the nicest perks, for us anyway, Is all the free transportation when staying at Disney Resorts, to all the Parks and even from and back to the Airport. We never rent a car. That can save quite a bit. Many off site hotels charge a parking fee ( plus other assorted hotel fees ) plus you would need to pay for parking at the parks each day. Add those costs in when comparing

In addition to the free dining offer, there has always been a room discount offer. For a history of Disney discounts

mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html

If you book direct with Disney or an official Disney Travel Agent, you will be able to Modify your reservation later when a good deal is announced

Have a look at all the Reaort options

http://allears.net/acc/resortvids.htm

Renting points from a DVC ( Disney Vacation Club ) Member is also an option, more info if interested. It can save quite a bit if looking for a Disney Resort Villa

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Thanks for the info! Will keep it in mind. Maybe we will wait a bit to see what Disney may offer for new perks.

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

www.mousesavers.com

They can keep you updated to all the new offers

Of course we can do that too, right here on the forum :)

You do have some time so just have a bit of dreaming for now, check out more info about the Parks, you can even order a free planning DVD from Disney, that's always fun to have a look at

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

I have recently signed up for mousesavers. I will also keep checking these forums for updates.

Thanks so much.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Have you looked into the Swan/Dolphin? They have special rates for teachers. Although, I am not sure what you need w/regards to sleeping arrangements (I don't believe they have rooms w/kitchenettes, etc). They have a great location and are served by Disney transportation to/from the parks. However, they are not technically a Disney property so I don't think they offer the dining plan nor do they offer Magical Express (transportation to/from the airport).

Another idea might be 2 rooms at a Value Resort (like All Star Sports, etc).? Sometimes when you add the savings from the Magical Express (to/from the airport) , as well as the ease of tranportation to/from the parks the price difference is not as big as it seems.

-kelly

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

Thanks, Kelly! I will check those hotels out. My daughter really really likes Wyndham Bonnet Creek as they offer so many amenities. She is also looking for more than one room as she wants a separate bedroom for the 2 girls (who are 5 & 3). She definitely does not want to stay at a Value Resort! She has a lot on her wish list!

I have contacted several VRBO about rentals but find it confusing how renting units there works. You pay more money for a rental if you book it now than if you wait until 60 days prior to your arrival date. We don't want to wait til the last minute to find rentals.

I have also looked in Lake Buena Vista area but know we will need to rent a car if we book something there. Guess you can't have it both ways!

I signed up for Mousesavers and found some great info on that website, hotel suggestions also.

I will keep on looking.... Thanks again.

May

7. Re: Need Help Planning WDW Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:19