We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting out of the parks at closing

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
626 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Getting out of the parks at closing

I am faithfully reading the Unofficial Guide to Disney :) Last night I read the section in which one woman described getting out of MK after the fireworks as "a nightmare". It didn't say when she was there - is it always crazy, or only in the busier periods. I am going April 21-29, staying at Coronado Springs.

pa
Level Contributor
54,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

The thing is

It is a bit crazy, when 100,000 or more, people are all trying to leave at the same time

Best you can do is to Not Be In A Hurry

Get yourselves an Ice Cream, have seat and wait a while for the crowd to thin out. Do not go running to the Bus, monorail or boat, you will be disappointed.

Or Leave during the Fireworks if really concerned. I don't recomend missing the Fireworks tho ;)

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,226 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

It can be a bit nightmarish any time of year. Thousands of people are leaving at the same time. Main street is a bit narrow and the area will be packed full with people watching the fireworks because most want the vantage point in front of the castle. The street will be completely filled. So, leaving can feel as if you're a herd of cattle. Definitely keep the family together. Lines for the monorail and ferry may seem impossibly long, but they will move efficiently. It does require patience though. Getting back to the parking lot is a process just like getting in. If you are staying onsite and using the bus then you may have to wait through a few rounds. But again, they know the park is closing and move things as quickly as they can. If the fireworks are before park closing which they often are then I would suggest staying for a bit afterwards. Many people do leave immediately. You can get quite a bit done with little to no waits by sticking back plus you will have an easier time departing. If the fireworks are the same time as park closing then not much to do but grin and bear it. Just take it easy.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
626 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

Would it be better to plan these nights (Wishes, Illuminations, etc) with EMH?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

We do exactly what pp said. We grab an ice cream/soda and sit and watch the throngs fighting their way to the exits, then take a leisurely stroll out to get our bus, no sweat.

pa
Level Contributor
54,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

We plan all our days around taking advantage of the Evening EMH, excellent idea. Hardly anyone in the Parks at midnight, 1am, 2am lol It's very Magical late at night into the wee hours of the mornin'

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

One good thing as you are staying on site there are lots of buses at closing time, we never had to wait more than 10 mins as one was pulling off another was pulling in, we were very impressed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
951 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

I would suggest, not doing the full park on a day that a park has EMH's during the day if you have the PARK HOPPER option which you want to invest in, you could go to a less crowded park, then the other park you could hop over to for the late EMH's.. :-)

Like say EMH was evening at Epcot, you could do MK, stay for Wishes, and then hop over to Epcot for EMH ...

Boston...
Level Contributor
951 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

One question: Does Disney run late busses during EMH's (exrtra magic hours?)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

Yes the resort buses will stop about one hour after EMH's end

Swansea
Level Contributor
655 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting out of the parks at closing

I remember the first time we went to Wishes, it was the first time we had left a park at closing, all I can say is that trying to catch the boat reminds me of the bit in "The War of the Worlds" with all the refugees trying to catch the boat.

That was in September and the parks during the day were pretty quite, si I would hate to think what its like on July 4th etc.