We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa with criminal record

u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
visa with criminal record

Sorry to bore everyone with this subject again but I really need advice. My daughter in law was arrested and cautioned at the age of fifteen for being in possesion of valium-a controlled substance. She has decided to apply for a visa but is worried that she will be refused. Does anyone out there have any experience of someone with a drug related arrest being granted a visa? This arrest was ten years ago and she has not been in any trouble since. Is it likely that she will be refused a visa?

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: visa with criminal record

CRB is the Criminal Records Bureau and you usually have to have a CRB check for certain types of employment i.e. working with children, the elderly etc. ACRO is the Criminal Records Office where your information is held is you are required to get a Police Certificate of good conduct for a visa or emigration.

At least this is my understanding of things.

Regards,

Deaconblue

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: visa with criminal record

your right Deaconblue

I'm DV cleared and CRB is amongst one of the things they check. They checked my parents, GF and friends too !!

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: visa with criminal record

This is going to sound so silly, 14yr ago when i was 18 im not sure if i was arrested or not! Me and my friend got took to the police station, she had drugs on her i did not. When they let me out i signed something and have no idea what. (signed it without asking what it was i was signing as i was scared and just wanted to go home)

So if i apply for a ACRO and it comes back clear i dont need to apply for a visa, right?

Thanks, Kathryn xx

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: visa with criminal record

Sounds like a caution but best to check.

I did 3 years at Brixton prison and have never had a visa. I was working there though :o)

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: visa with criminal record

Id forgot all about it really, its only with reading this post that has made me think about it! I was going to just answer no on the esta as i didnt actually do anything wrong, and it was so long ago! (but if anything does show i dont imagin they will want my side of the story) hehe

There must be so many people that have done silly things when they where yonger.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: visa with criminal record

I have !!

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: visa with criminal record

Im so hoping it comes back clear, can do with out the hassle of getting down to London and the expence!!

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: visa with criminal record

I've spent a night or 2 in the cells when I was young and i've never had a visa but don't remember signing anything when let out.

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: visa with criminal record

Im sat here thinking about it and i cant belive i never asked what i was signing! I can remember at the time my daughters dad going mad for signing something with out knowing what it was.

Tewkesbury, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: visa with criminal record

How would the US authorities know of an offence, particulaly one that was committed a long time ago. Do they automatically check everyone's name against a the criminal records database ?

What about offences that are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which is UK legislation, but not US ?