We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Manchester
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Really like the look of French Quarter but can't make a decision.

Is it only the pool you can share or can you go over to Riverside at night if they do more entertainment? Like the idea of a quieter resort you can stroll around but wondered if the children would prefer the Riverside at night if we don't go out of the resort area.

They are both good swimmers and my son starts High School this year so they are past the 'small kids' phase.

Thanks for any info.

pa
Level Contributor
54,205 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

I would go with POR, the Kids will Love it. You can of course share and enjoy the amenities at Both no matter which you stay at but POR has alot more going for it and it will be nice to just let the Kids go for a wander, to the Main Pool or any of the quiet pools, the arcade, the food court, for a bike ride etc.

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851271

http://allears.net/acc/faq_dxl.htm

It is a large Resort but you never feel on top of other people, everything is spread out and there are so many open and quiet spaces to enjoy :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

I would say POR too. We love staying there, but we also love the pool at POFQ and often walk over to FQ(approx10-15 min walk) to use the pool..and get the riverboat back.

Whichever you do choose though am sure you'll love it. :0)

Manchester
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Thanks so much for the replies!

Will look more at POR.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

I would definitely pick POR with the ages of your children. Even though it has more going on than POFQ (and larger) , it is still a relatively peaceful atmosphere. We stayed there when my boys were around 10 or 11 years old, and it was great. As a bonus, there is a really nice poolside bar at POR. When we were "done" for the day, the kids would go swimming and my husband and I would sit and relax.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

we realy like POR as there is so much to do if you want to spend a day at the resort.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Here's another vote for Riverside; I just love that resort.

Here's one more small advantage for Riverside. When you catch the boat heading to DTD, it boards first at Riverside, so you are assured of getting a seat unless it's a super long line. Sometimes, it fills up there, and when it arrives at F.Q., there's no room for boarding passengers there so they have to wait.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 16:24
Manchester
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Thanks for the tip about the boat.

It seems to be unanimous for the Riverside!

Could a way of avoiding big bus queues be to cheat and walk to FQ? That was my only concern and the fact they are going through a refurb at the moment.

We are planning to visit Half Term June.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

You can walk to French Quarter to catch the bus but I doubt the lines will be any smaller. There is only one bus stop at French Quarter and there are three to four at riverside. Just for the record, the bus system is excellent and never been bumped off the bus because the lines were too long at the resorts. Kat has a good point in post 6 when it comes to going to downtown disney.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

Whenever we've stayed at the riverside the buses have been fine...always got on a bus to the parks , you do sometimes have to stand..but that's the same to from any Disney resort.

POR is great for kids..old and young, the main pool is open until around midnight if the kids want to spend the evening in the pool.

The bike hire is good. We hired a surrey bike last year and cycled along the ppath around the lake, it was really fun.

The food court at Port Orleans has some lovely options too.

We'll be there at half term too...whatever you choose make sure you book soon, seats for half term may go quickly and there is the $150 Disney gift card(with Virgin and Disney..not sure about other operators) and free dining.

pa
Level Contributor
54,205 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: POR or POFQ with children aged 9 and 11?

If a bus is filled to capacity, not to worry, another one will come along. The Disney transportation system works very well. I wouldn't go walking over to POFQ to catch a bus