We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with an Infant?

Huntsville, Al.
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with an Infant?

So we were planning a return trip to Disney for this Sept. but found out the other day that my wife is expecting our third child and will be due at the end of Sept. or early Oct.

We are considering postponing it to either the last week of Nov. or first week of Dec. That would put the baby being about 8 weeks old. I know the baby wouldn't get anything out of it, but our other 2 kids would be 4 and 2 by then. My wife's parents, sister and niece are also coming, so they could help out some.

Has anyone taken an infant this young and what was your experience like?

Magic Kingdom Park
Disney Parks & Activities, Theme Parks
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with an Infant?

I took our son on a family vacation to Disneyland when he was 11 weeks, and it was fine. I wore him most of the time and we were still able to go on tons of rides. I nursed, so I didn't have to mess with bottles and whatnot. He didn't need any special baby food or anyting, so that was a lot less to worry about. We also traveled with lots of other family members, so that was handy. When the babies were sleeping, grandma or my pregnant sister stayed with them while we rode rides that the babies couldn't.

However, I think a bigger question would be how will your wife be at the eight week mark? What if she has a c-section? Are you going to drive or fly? Are you going to stay on property or not? If you are going to drive and stay on property, I believe you can change your reservations without too much trouble, but if you fly, changeing reservations can get expensive fast.

But there are pluses to going at that time of year. It won't be quite as hot, the crowds shouldn't be quite as bad, and you will get to see the Christams decorations. We did it, and it worked out fine for us--and we had a GREAT time :-).

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
19,031 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with an Infant?

We were there 11/29-12/4 (it was freezing). We did see a lot of small babies. I would agree with the above poster (you don't know how everyone will feel). I would definitely ask the doctor first of all (a lot of them are more stricter now than they used to be). My friend's nephew's doctor told them not to go to a kid's birthday party with the baby (baby was about 6 weeks), and it was his niece's party!! Good luck with your decision!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with an Infant?

You don't need your pediatrician's permission to go, but the point about making sure your wife will be up for the trip and losing a deposit if she's not is a good one.

Wearing the baby will make the day much less stressful for him or her vs. a stroller and having family will help. I would choose a hotel close by so tired family can get back for a nap before re-joining the group.

Huntsville, Al.
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with an Infant?

Thanks for the info. We would be driving and also staying onsite. I also agree about making sure my wife feels up to it. We're definitely not going to rush our decision. I guess we need to look into the cancellation policy and whether that applies to changing dates as well.

We were there 11/28 to 12/2 and thought it was a little cool at night, but was pretty warm during the day.

5. Re: Experience with an Infant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2013, 10:16