We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New ban

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
New ban

A new ban has been proposed by the Education Secretary to stop children being taken out of school during term time.

Article link below.

telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9091…

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: New ban

Actuall they have done. Have just booked fliught for June and they were a lot more expensive than last year (taking my boys the day after their last exam).

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: New ban

Grumpy moo_bear. I can't afford to pay £1000's extra to go 1 or 2 days later. I consider myself and my family to be good law abiding people and follow rules in life ! But it's just not fair that all holiday prices increase when the kids are off from school.

For us it sometimes means miss 1 or 2 days at school or no holiday at all.

When my DS missed a week in Oct his primary school teacher told me on parents evening he had come back a changed boy,he was chatty, enthusiastic, brighter and confident !! Her words not mine. :)

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: New ban

What a surprise to find this thread open again!

When my children were young, I always took them out of school for a week in the fall or spring to go to Orlando. Things have changed here now, and I doubt that I would legally be allowed to do that any more. I am hoping to take two of my great-nieces to Orlando this November, but it will depend on their grades, their teachers, and the leniency of the school system.

England
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: New ban

Teachers don't get the same holidays as the kids and also the pay really does not reflect the extra hours and continuous inspections. Most teachers understand and accommodate absences on account of much needed family holidays. Teachers only want what is best for their learners, they could not do their job properly if they didn't. However more and more power has been removed from the traditional school ethic and with it many decisions made by schools and colleges are manditory an no longer discretionary. It's a sad time, but I don't have the energy to start a revolution. Realistically there is no real power to fine or penalise parents for taking kids on hols during term time an not many educators would have the heart or inclination to impose any. It's a parents choice and I have not known anyone receiving fines for this and I confess I am a repeat offender . Not this yr though but only because ds gcse yr. good luck and vote with your feet !! I woul be surprised if any one was really substantially punished !!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: New ban

moo-bear obviously has no objection to being ripped off by holiday companies!!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
56. Re: New ban

Our school system had a major problem with truancy and enacted pretty stringent rules around a decade ago. I understand that they're trying to keep the at risk kids in class and off the streets but I wish they had built more flexibility into the system. A kid's attendance/academic record should be taken into consideration IMHO rather than just instituting a broad no tolerance policy when it comes to absences.

Our oldest is a teacher-he arrives at school well before 7:00 AM and rarely leaves before 5:00 PM. He is off mid-May to mid-August but spends the summer at a second job in order to make up for his sorry teacher's salary. I couldn't do it but he loves teaching.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: New ban

MrsL08

I will start a revolution with you...

:0)

Scotland
Level Contributor
704 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: New ban

Although i dont see harm in taking children out for a few extra days I think it would be hard fot the child to miss 2 or 3 weeks but thats up to the parents i suppose. dont think i'd want my child to fall behind although i do agree about the rich expereinces they can gain visiting other cultures.

I'm sure you can guess i'm a teacher too!

In-service days are holidays for teachers! Not even going to get into that tinkerbell.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: New ban

Well, grumpy moo-bear actually has no choice because her son (who goes on holiday with her and her husband) works for a garden centre and can only have holidays in June/July/August/September. She is fortunate (and grateful) that she can at least go in June or September, when it is slightly cheaper. She booked the flights last September when they were on sale. They were more expensive than last year - but that is because of the increase in fuel tax (she thinks!) She doesn't feel ripped off by anybody - and if she doesn't like the price, nobody's forcing her to pay it. She booked everything herself - no travel agent involved and booked directly with hotels and rental houses. She only booked what she could afford (actually, no longer can afford since the car went sick!). She would like to have been able to have taken the Florida holiday in October or May, for more pleasant weather - perhaps she should've suggested that her son goes sick. lol

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: New ban

I wouldn't have a problem going in September....the price difference for us this year £2500 between August and September making the total holiday cost nearly £10,000 with park tickets and spending money. Can't take time off school this September so unfortunately we are not going :(. Holidays don't rip you off in June and September as that isn't school holidays!