We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New ban

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
New ban

A new ban has been proposed by the Education Secretary to stop children being taken out of school during term time.

Article link below.

telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9091…

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: New ban

Destinations is not the question here.

BTW Just and aside, my youngest son could count to ten in Spanish before he could in English simply because he mixed with local kids on holiday in Spain. Admittedly that was before Spain was in Europe.

David

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: New ban

Lauraemma - sorry I do, my mom was a headteacher and my sister a teacher. Anyway, some things we just have to agree to disagree :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: New ban

One of my closest friends is a teacher, so I have a pretty good idea ;-)

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: New ban

"I think that it is scandalous that schools are using it to penalise families who are using the time to good effect by exposing their children to the world at large."

DLB

I dont think the schools are at fault here. It`s the government that is taking away the right of the teachers to grant the taking of holidays during term time!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: New ban

My daughter is a teacher and if you did know what teaching involved you wouldn't be criticising the amount of holidays and inset days as most of it is spent working!!!

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: New ban

Prospect,

I stand corrected , I aim my comments at Michael Gove, the Education Secretary. The rest still stands.

David

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
77. Re: New ban

Inset days yes teachers are working! All holidays.....very doubtful. Though your daughter may work very hard during her school holidays I am certain that this doesn't apply to all teachers.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: New ban

laura,

I would't feel so defensive now that Prospect had clarified the argument. The "fault" lies with the Education Secretary, not the schools direct.

David

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: New ban

Well some posts might have mentioned P******? (sorry dont know what that means) but mine certainly didnt , it was non offensive, Im baffled. ?

I just mentioned equibrillium and the NWO.

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: New ban

I think it's a shame that the Government feel the need to take discretion away from their head teachers, and feel its better to take a blanket approach to an issue. Each pupil in each school in each community differs, and who knows how to support their needs better than their parents/ teachers.

The government should focus more on the reasons why children persistently truant, and hold the under performing teachers/ head teachers to account for their performance.

I don't recall being taken from school during term time for holiday except for a school organised skiing trip. I left school with ok grades and hated every minute of education. So in my opinion it's down to parents to work along side teachers to find the balance that's right for their child. In our case it's not for financial gain that we will take our child from school, however I know if it was the only way I could take my kids on holiday then I would be thinking about it.

I do feel sorry for teachers who have to pay over the odds for a holiday as they're restricted with their dates, but many other people are in a similar situation.