We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

We're spending the day at AK then heading for Boma for a 5.40 reservation. Don't know what time to leave or what to wear.

It's a very early dinner res for us but it's our first full day. We'll all have been up since at least 4am cos we'll still be on UK time (happens every visit) but at least we'll have enough time for breakfast and be in good time for rope drop :)

Also made a res for lunch at Tusker House for 12.30 as this will be the only op for a character meal with generic characters (dd's are too old for princesses, pooh, etc).

We will agree as a family which restaurant to go to and then cancel one. 2dd's are adamant that they want to go to Boma because we went on safari a couple of years ago and they're expecting the lodge to be similar - however I'm worried that they might be disappointed and then we'll have missed the character op.

Questions

Does the AKL seem quite authentic? Is there a nice family atmosphere?

What time do we need to leave AK to get to Boma?

I've never eaten in resort hotel restaurants - do we need to dress for dinner (if so we'll need to build in time to go back to our hotel in lake bv to change).

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Last question first You don´t need to dress up

Be at the bus stop at 5 pm to get there

I have never been on a real Safari , but AKL is good

We went there first time the first day , but we went for a breakfast and I am going to stay there for the first time and looking so forward to it

Just wonder if this is Your first day if You should change the lunch to a breakfast at Tuskerhouse instead ? You will be up very early and ready to go the park and if You get a early seating You are already in the middel of the park and can head right to the rides .

Mutter

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Yes I did consider doing breakfast instead of lunch but as we'll be up so early I thought we may have our breakfast in the hotel which starts at 6.30 otherwise I'm worry ed that we'll just be sat watching the clock for 3 hours with 3 hopefully excited children and 2 mega excited parents :)

Although - it does sound much more sensible and would be a lovely start to our holiday, albeit a very expensive day - right off to amend yet another ADR!

Thanks so much

Chesterfield, UK
Level Contributor
425 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Both are absolutely wonderful in different ways so would do both!! Tusker house for breakfast is great fun. Boma is excellent and Animal kingdom lodge is simply stunning, you will definetly feel as though you have been transported to an african paradise.

And the lodge is only a 5 minute bus ride from animal kingdom.

Have a wonderful time.

Jo.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

TUSKER house only does the characters at breakfast not at lunch. Its great also to walk through the park when its empty.

As long as your first morning isn't EMH's at AK I would definitely try and book tusker for breakfast.

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

I am not sure I would do both in the same day unless you have Lunch at maybe 11 and then Dinner after 7. You are going to be quite stuffed ( or at least I would be ) you will want to be good and hungry for Boma

The ride to the Animal Kingdom Lodge is about 5 minutes, if you are driving, allow a half hour to get out of the Park and get to your car

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Thank you all - Tusker House breakfast at 8am now booked :))

Mmmm - I hope all that walking around the parks helps to work some of those calories off....

Silly question but if we get the bus, how do we get back to the car park because AK closes at 6 so I assume buses will stop running shortly after? I was hoping to have a wander around AKL

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

oh then go to the carpark after the park and go to Boma from there :-) don´t leave the car at the carpark its FREE to stay at any Disney resort for upto 3 hours :-)

and Jobelly Tuskerhouse has character breakfast and lunches now :-) they added the lunch in Jan/February last year if I remember it correct

Mutter

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Yes, agree with mutter, don't leave your car at the AK. Drive over to the Lodge, very easy, very quick

Breakfast is Swell, well done :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Sorry about that didn't realise they now did character lunch. Still think breakfast is best simply for that early entry.

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Animal Kingdom to Boma - tons of questions

Thanks to you wise ones

Very grateful for your advice and helping to make our holiday extra special

(even though we may end up in the poor house on our return as a result ;)