We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney in January

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Disney in January

Hi everyone, I have a question I hope you can answer. We are coming over to do the east coast of USA from Australia in January (I know it's cold) thats why we are coming. We are going to do 11-12 Days at Orlando, but besides Disney we want to go to Universal, Busch, Kennedy & ride on an airboat.

My question is, should we stay somewhere centrally for the entire time or should we split it up and do say 8 days at Disney and then hire a car and start driving each day to these locations. We are in the US for 9 weeks so if we need extra time we can use it. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney in January

I have never been to Kennedy, so I do not know how long it would take to drive, but excluding that I would recommend staying central and hiring a car the entire time.

If staying onsite on Disney all parking is free and it is usually quicker by car. If staying offsite, you spend time getting to the parks again quicker by car. Some hotels provide a shuttle to Disney, but then the problem is getting from say Downtown Disney to the parks as the buses do not go direct to the parks. From Downtown Disney the buses go to the resorts, so then you would have to change at the resort to get to a park, this has been done to stop people trying to park for free at Downtown Disney.

For those who have not been before, you cannot do everything in a 21 day holiday, believe me we have tried. There is so much to see and do in Florida, not only on Disney, but Universal Studios, Discovery Cove, Sea World, Busch Gardens and other places. Disney is vast, 47 square miles, 4 parks + water parks. Allow 3 days to cover most of Magic Kingdom, 1 day each to cover most of Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood studios, this does NOT allow time more than one ride on each of the main attractions

Send me a personal message of an email address and I will email you my Disney notes.

Macl1uk

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Florida
31,945 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Discovery Cove
Discovery Cove
15,381 Reviews
Orlando, FL
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,232 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens
14,591 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
58,977 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,376 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood
Hollywood
Broward County, FL
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney in January

Thanks for the reply, Is it better to stay at the Disney resort. We stayed at the Disney resort at Disneyland and it was VERY expensive. Not so much the accommodation, but everything else. We are going in January this time though which I believe is the quiet period. How do I send you my email.??? new to this

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney in January

Depending on numbers of the party and length of stay, it may be better to hire a villa offsite.

Disneyworld is much cheaper than Disneyland, eating offsite saved us a fortune and gave us a wider choice, but you need a car to do that.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 11:39
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney in January

I don't think a villa would suit us, we really only want a hotel room to sleep in, we are very active on holidays. Enjoying the nightlife and restaurants is part of the holiday experience. Can't wait for another In & Out Burger. how good are they.??

Thanks very much for your advice

pa
Level Contributor
54,701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney in January

I would highly recomend staying at a Disney Resort. Disney World can be affordable, there are several levels of Resorts but all will give you the nice Perks, Free Transportation to all the Disney Parks as well as to and from the Airport is one of the nicest, IMHO. Disney World is huge, much, much bigger than Disneyland. You could stay two weeks and still not experience it all.

Disney Resort Options

http://allears.net/acc/resortvids.htm

January has some of the lowest room rates and more often than not, there is a good Winter discount available. Please book direct with Disney or use an official Disney Travel Agent such as www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com So you can Modify your reservation later when those discounts are announced

It is easy enough to get to Universal and Seaworld without a car. Then rent a car for the trips you plan to make that are outside of Orlando ( Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, Airboat ride etc ) You can rent a car right at the Disney Car care Center, very easy.

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld Orlando
SeaWorld Orlando
29,232 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
NASA Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
NASA Kennedy Space...
17,188 Reviews
Titusville, FL
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney in January

Partypa, Thanks for reply, I am checking out the resorts now, are they likely to sell out for January, Should I book now, or wait for the specials to come out.??

Thanks for your help

7. Re: Disney in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:42