We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recession

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ayr
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
recession

Do any of you think the crowds will be less as most people have less money too spend these days both in usa and uk ?

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recession

The Great Recession has very much affected tourist and conference business in Orlando. The Orlando Sentinel newspaper regularly provides coverage. There has been a substantial return of prices and even numbers of visitors since 2009. Perhaps more troubling is that household incomes in Florida have collapsed, so that even though housing is cheap, many Florida residents are paying half or more of their income for a place to live. The Tampa Bay Times has a story on that today.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: recession

I don't think so. 2010 Orlando visitorship topped 51 million the highest ever and if I'm not mistaken 2011 resort tax collection (the tax charged on hotel and short term rental nights) was the highest ever in Orange County/Orlando = I suspect 2011 visitor number will be even higher when published. Put it this way. You won't be anywhere near alone in the parks. People may have less money, but they are still coming

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,646 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recession

In general, the US economy seems to be showing signs of recovery. Finally.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
300 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recession

I also don't think you'll feel a difference in crowd levels. I've read that Disney did see some softening, but quickly moved to offset it by offering more discounts than they used to. I can't say for sure, I only started going since the economy fell apart, but will say I've gotten great discounts. And I've definitely found the deep discounts harder to get this year (when the economy is coming back around in the US) than for my two previous trips.

I think people also tend to cut less on stuff that affects their kids, and for many people, that includes Disney.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recession

Disney did do some ticket "softening" by offering discounts or certain packages. Unfortunately, a lot of that is over now. In fact prices recently increased slightly. The fact is (and there was an article I cannot find that stated this too), those that want to go to Disney and can afford, will still go. Its like buying a high-end automobile, if you have the money, just cause the economy is bad and gas is high, doesnt mean youre going to not buy that high-end vehicle anymore. Disney always has a market and people will find a way.

That being said, I was just there a few times last year, one of which was around New Years Eve weekend and I can tell you that Magic Kingdom reached compacity before noon. I can safely say that business is still good over there.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,217 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recession

My daughter went to Sea World on one of the coldest weekends we have had this year and said it was pretty crowded. For everyone in the US supposedly being out of work and broke you can't hardly go to any restaurant and not stand in line waiting for a table. Altho the mall may be less crowded on weekdays its packed on the weekends. If gas prices rise to the amount they say it will then some people will slow down on travel but that just means us Floridians will vacation in Florida instead of driving somewhere else.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recession

I guess it's all relative but to put it in perspective...

In 2009 we came to WDW and stayed at the Beach Club for 9 days.

In 2010 we came to WDW and rented points to stay on the cheap at AKL for 5 days.

In 2011 we came to FL and stayed with family for free and spent one day at Epcot and one day visiting the MK resorts decorated for Christmas for free.

In 2012 we will not be coming at all.

While not "everyone in the US supposedly being out of work and broke," news of the "great economic recovery" is overly optimistic.

The rate of unemployment in our community is 12%.

That number does NOT include the people whose families have been on welfare for years and years, or the people who were receiving unemployment and used up their benefits, couldn't find work and have given up looking for work. That's just the people who are out of work and are still looking for work right now.

Small businesses are the lifeblood of the US economy... (what with manufacturing jobs gone overseas...)

Small businesses can't be created or grow in an anti-business climate such as our federal government has been creating in most recent years.

Our government can't and won't pay toward its own debt- their "answer" is to raise the debt ceiling.

I would say two things are going on in the USA in regards to tourism and travel:

1. The people with more disposable income are spending it. :)

2. People are paying for vacations on credit and going more into debt.

Why not? Our government does it all the time... smh...

Very Thankful for my Job... but not traveling any time soon...

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recession

We were at Disney in january and never saw any signs of a recession. The place was buzzing as usual.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,759 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recession

If sheer numbers are any indication, 2012 is already surpassing attendance prediction for WDW and we're only two months into the year, and it's typically low season.

Judging by the park hours they have "expanded" already, WDW is now guessing they will have a banner year in attendance.

10. Re: recession

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 19:56