We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Hi

I might come across a little tight here - but I don't mean to :)

I've read that most of the restaurants add 18% gratuity automatically if there are 6 or more of you.

We are 3 adults and 3 kids (although one is 12 so pays adult price).

Is it 6 adults or just 6 people?

My elderly mother is included in this but for many of the restaurants she doesn't bother eating (she's dead fussy) so for example Boma, Tusker House and Ohana, she'd just be coming along and having a drink. Don't really want to leave her outside on her own :)

Is it 18% for a la carte and buffets? Usually for buffets we don't generally leave more than 10% unless our service has been outstanding (which it sometimes is).

Just out of interest - but why do groups get charged this automatically, are they more difficult to serve (there's probably a very obvious answer that I just don't see!)

Thanks all. I just need to make sure I budget for the tips

England
Level Contributor
946 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Apologies - didn't mean to set the cat amongst the pigeons with this post. I can see me leaving my mother at the hotel (which will delight my dh!). I don't mind tipping at the buffet but would rather do it because I've had good service and not because it's 'expected'.

Especially when in some restaurant bookings I've been advised that 'our party may be seated at different tables'

I guess it's my Yorkshire roots...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Yes a bit of a bargain if serving my family of 8, I can't even count the amount of times they would come around with the skewers for my family or to refill a drink. My opinion. Not going to say how much we actually tipped....that will start a whole different conversation.

Level Contributor
346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

My guidelines being a server at a national chain restaurant have always found a 15% tip more than adequate. Yes, I do tip out 3% of my sales for the shift to various other staff, but have never felt it took away from my livelihood. I appreciate their help when I have 5 or 6 tables in need of help when I am occupied with another guest. I read in the las vegas ta forum about the government taking their share based on our sales. We claim tips daily, some servers itemize their taxes and some don't. It is not your job to worry if we made enough money. It is the profession we choose to be in.

Tipping is a courtesy and at your discretion. Don't ever feel obligated to tip. I hope people really do understand that when going out to dine if you enjoy your evening and your server made sure your evening was flawless then any tip is truly appreciated. That also goes for a buffet, they clear your dirty dishes and refill your beverages and also make sure you have had a clean area to have your meal, they get you your condiments and try to be unobtrusive.

People do say there are norms, standards, and understandings when it comes to what is expected when leaving a tip...... but again, tipping is a courtesy and always at your discretion. For large parties where it is added to your bill, this is also at your discretion. Should you feel it is too much talk with the manager and tell them you would like it removed. They may ask why or tell you it is computed automatically but it is still a courtesy.

Please dine together, I have had too many incidents where the customers had friends at other tables and decided table hopping was ok throughout the meal... this interrupted other guests and also made it difficult to maneuver around them standing at various tables to deliver food. Once I had children scream because their cousins were tables away and wanted to sit together. The parents accomodated their children and then all the cousins got into yelling matches and no adults were nearby to take notice of how their children were behaving.

Good luck.... do us servers think foreigners tip less.... if they are good servers then a foreigners lack of tip will not matter.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,938 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Spambo- The places you have picked except for Boma will have either characters or in Ohanas case if for dinner entertainment and alot of wait staff catering to you. You really might not feel that it is that much. Haven't been to Boma but can understand that for the most part you will be serving yourself. My Mom didn't eat much but we figured the rest of us made up for it. It is vacation.

It might be a debate, but good to hear what others do. Debate or not it is helpful.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

raquelybaker

nice to hear from someone in the know. Don't get me wrong I always tip unless really bad but there is no logic to the tipping procedure.

The way I see it is if you choose to work as a server and are lucky to get a job in a high end restaurant then I'm guessing you can make quite a bit of money. Say you serve 5 tables and each bill is $400 and they tip you 20% then you would get $80x5 = $400 minus any tax and payouts to your table cleaner (sorry dont know the proper term). Not sure how long each table would take but when 4 of us are just eating we are usually out within 2 hours. So if you work a 6 hour shift you could make about $1200 a shift! Blimey I think I need to change jobs. Obviously this is all hypothetical and some days you could only have 1 table full each 2 hours or worse. Then you have the server from a cheap place where a total bill may come in at $50 for 4. So that server may only get $10 per table for doing pretty much the same job. See where i'm coming from. TBH I'd rather have the food prices increase and have no tip and the restaurants pay a decent wage. Would stop all the worrying it causes some people,

Nana - quick service for drink refills and plate removal and being nice :o)

UK
Level Contributor
188 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

I think tipping has to be in proportion to the level of service & how hard the waiting staff have worked after all if you had a btl of champagne at $100 & then said make it 2 at the same time would you be happy to give $40 tip instead of $20 when it has only taken a few seconds to open the 2nd btl.

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Good reply raquelybaker. So nice to get an opinion from the staff. Have only had to tip as low as 10% once while on vacation. All others have been 15% + and dont grudge paying 18% if thats advertised on menu as standard for party size. If I did find problems with service I would make a point of complaining , but this has never happened.

Grandad Edd

Edited: 28 February 2012, 17:45
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

You all are making it way more difficult than it actually is.

Port-au-Prince...
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

It is also interesting to see who serves you with a large party.

We were a party of 10 at a national chain and knew that 18% was going to be added. When the hostess seated us she said that our server was Amy and that she would be with us shortly. Instead the Asst. Manager, Tom, showed up and said he would be seeing to us personally.

He had no clue how to wait a large table and was so bad that we refused to pay the 18%. We stiffed him and gave 10% to the busboys.

Level Contributor
346 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 18% Gratuity added for 6 people

Every server would love to have a job that has hundred dollar tickets all the time... those restaurants have hiring lists with long waits. For those restaurants you are paying for atmosphere and exclusivity.

Tipping is a courtesy and people should never feel obligated. In this industry we have a state minimum wage or a national minimum wage and pricing on items are pretty pricey as it is. People will either complain about the amount to leave a server or the amount it cost for the food. As far as tipping for opening a bottle... no matter if it is an "understanding", tip what you feel is right. People put a percentage on it years ago, who knows who came up with that percentage but not all people go by that "norm" . Some people even tip per person... $2 per person at a national chain and $3-$5 per person at a higher end restaurant... just go with what you feel is right for the moment you are eating. Just remember it is not your responsibility to make sure we make a living. A good server who has given you excellent service will not be upset over anything if at all about the amount you left them because... 1. They realize it is a courtesy and will make your stay pleasant anyway. 2. They care about their job and if you write in to the company about the server with a good review, the server will get recognized in other areas that let them gain monetarily. 3. That server will continue to get awesome shifts that make them money during the slower non-tourist season.

When I get regulars in that don't tip I always ask if they would take a moment to do a survey. They always leave my name and I get recognized throughout the company. Which is just as good as getting a good tip.

You're right this is not difficult. :) I hope you get a wonderful server for you time in orlando. Remember it's just food lol

I hope I haven't offended anyone with any of my views on this topic.