We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental suggestions......

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
car rental suggestions......

car rental "babe in the woods" here...flying in for a week-10 days and will be putting some miles on the car (driving to Ocala & back + sightseeing). Don't like hidden charges and fine print...who do you use/avoid? Is it true I should arrange this ASAP (I didn't book my flight yet)?

And what about insurance...can I use mine or must I buy theirs?

Last time I really got fast-talked about all aspects.

Thanks to all...

Mentioned in this post
Ocala
Ocala
Central Florida, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental suggestions......

Check your company you may have some coverage for rentals (and check your CCs too as some come with additional).

Prices can be high, so check for codes at mousesavers and elsewhere online. If you book something that can be cancelled w/o charge, then you can try and find cheaper esp as you don't know your flight times whcih have to be in sync. Hotwire and Priceline can work too after you have booked flights. For advice on those, try betterbidding or biddingfortravel websites.

Va
Level Contributor
11,750 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental suggestions......

You should by all means book in advance. Shop around and you will find all kinds of discounts. Find one that works best for you. Use major booking companies like Kayak or Orbitz to get an idea of price then use discount codes to see if you can get a better deal. You can also ask the walk up price when you get to the airport to see if the price is lower where you see the 'cars available' sign at the airport. You obviously are more open to the fast talking salesman at that point, but still doesn't hurt to ask.

Pretty much all companies have unlimited mileage now. There are some that have rules against going out of state and will hit you with fee. This is obviously to keep people from renting cars to go cross country.

Car rental companies are not like airlines and hotels that lock you into a reservation. You can make as many as you like and not worry about fees to cancel unless you do one of the pay in advance deals.

As for insurance, get what you need. Check your current auto policy and your credit card as already mentioned. If you need more to feel comfortable, get it.

As far as companies are concerned, I go with the lowest price. There are some off brand companies at MCO like Advantage, Payless, etc. These typically are the least expensive and you should have no concern using them. They may lack the closeness of the big companies and the fancy toys, but the cars are all the same.

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: car rental suggestions......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:40