We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled in orlando?

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
disabled in orlando?

hiya, we are going to orlando for the first time in june and wanted some information.

I am disabled, not in a wheelchair, but walk with crutches. We are going to hire a car, and wondered how we go about parking in disabled spaces there.

Also, is there any help/discounts etc for the disabled in that area?

we do not want to do disney, but a waterpark and orlando at least!

thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disabled in orlando?

Hi Jodie

In many touristy places like at the parks they will accept the blue badge and will direct you to the disabled parking.

However, you may wish to apply for a disabled tag for your car, which you hang from your rear view mirror when parking.

The contact details to arrange this are -

Holly at hmccommon@osceola.org or Samantha at sjewell@osceola.org . If you are unable to reach them or do not receive a response within 24 hours, please email webinfo@osceola.org or call our main office at (407) 742-4000.

At some parks you may be able to get a complimentary carer ticket...I know Sea World and Busch Gardens do this but it is at their discretion.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
21,564 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disabled in orlando?

If you are going to go anywhere but the theme parks,your blue badget will not be accepted-there is no reciprocity for handicapped badges. You need to get a temporary badge from one of the county offices in Florida-easiest is either Osceola County or Orange County-e mail their website and apply for a temporary badge-it costs $15 and is good for six months.Anyone outside of these offices is not empowered to issue disabled parking permits. If you just go tot he theme parks and your hotel,you can do without the badge as they are private property-just tell the parking attendent or the hotel clerk that you are using handicapped parking. But if you park in a mall or restaurant or street parking,you will probably get a ticket

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disabled in orlando?

Please don't just try to use your blue badge for parking as you will be breaking the law. You need to get a temporary red disabled tag and you can do this in advance by emailing a copy of your passport and your current UK badge (both sides) to the tax collectors office, once they let you know they have received it, you call to make payment. Simples!

This is the link to the post regarding this subject. It gives a full explanation as to how to get your tag in advance of travel. One thing to note is that they do not accept Visa for payment.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…25888582

We are travellers to another country and as such should respect their laws and customs. If you wish to take advantage of handicapped parking, get the red tag!

Regards,

Deaconblue

Edited: 14 March 2012, 16:03
Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disabled in orlando?

Just as a matter of interest, but parking at most shoppings malls etc. is free, but it is not free to park at Disney, Universal, Seaworld or Busch Gardens theme parks. Parking is free at Downtown Disney.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disabled in orlando?

You can apply by post in advance of your trip by providing the following information:

A copy of your valid parking placard/badge (front and back)

A copy of your valid passport including the picture and biography page (not the visa)

Your home address and telephone number

The temporary address you will use while staying in Florida

The date of your arrival and departure

$15.00 in US Funds -- Money order, check, or debit/credit card (American Express, Discover or MasterCard) is acceptable. There is a 2.5 % service fee if using credit or debit card. (If you wish to mail a check or money order, please make payable to Patsy Heffner, CFC) Unfortunately, as of May 1, 2009, we DO NOT ACCEPT VISA.

The above requirements may be mailed to:

Patsy Heffner Tax Collector

Attn: Samantha or Sheryl

1300 9th Street, Ste. 101-B

St. Cloud, FL 34769

Temporary parking permits for out of country residents are only valid for 3 months from issue date. (Only US Citizen temporary permits are valid up to 6 months) You may renew a permit within 12 months for no additional fee.

I have recently received my permit for my trip in April and the turn-round time was only just over 2 weeks.

Also I do not have a Mastercard so I sent $15 in cash as it can be very expensive to get a US dollar money order.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 16:25
u.k
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disabled in orlando?

Hi Rocialle ,thanks for the info'. I need to apply for a permit ready for my trip in June so your information was very useful.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disabled in orlando?

What is said above about the car tag is correct- and it is invaluable having it.

We took my mum who is a blue badge holder but not in a wheelchair. However she found the distances too great for walking at times. In the mall and outlets we got a wheelchair for her (they are free at guest services- just take an imprint of a credit card) and she was really grateful to have it.

I wasn't aware of any discounts etc but people were very happy to help.

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: disabled in orlando?

Hi there was a stick at the top of the DISS boards for ages, then last year on page 9 of the thread (which is were I am linking you to), they say the tag is no longer needed. I used my blue badge last August for parking in and out of the parks and didn't get any tickets.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1666467&page=9&highlight=disabled+badge

I did get the tag the previous year after reading this thread from the court house place on the 192 when we arrived as we did not have an american express card and couldn't do it on line. It only took about 20 mins. But when I went back & checked the thread last year it had been taken off the sicky on the home page, so I assumed it was true that you no longer needed it.

Have a good holiday.

:-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: disabled in orlando?

As previously stated, the parks are private property (and you are paying to park in most of them) so they may well let you use your blue badge. There is NO reciprocal agreement to accept blue badges in public places so if you park in an ordinary car park in a disabled space you can get fined and/or towed.

We took a trip to the coast and parked in a public car park- there was an officer checking tags there.

For $15 I really wouldn't risk the hassle.

pa
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: disabled in orlando?

Bump read post #3 for info by deaconblue