We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

....something I didn't know, Disney gives a great military discount on Disney Resort accomodations! I had Disney price out the free dining or the military rate paying for the dining plan at a disney resort ( at the polyenesian ). I was surprised it wasn't that much more then what I'm paying at shades. If you are flying, you get the free disney transportation included....better deal to stay at Disney Resort! ( all depending on when you are going, of course...) Good Information to pass along!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 14:26
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Sea World and Universal Orlando also have great military offers for those serving and their families.

www.herosalute.com for Sea World

www.universalorlando.com/military or Leisure travel offices on base.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

So what was the price difference?

I am paying $131 per night for SOG with zero taxes. How much is the Polynesian with dining and taxes...bottom line?

Also when are you going, I think that makes a difference.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 14:34
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

We are going in April and staying at shades...that reservation is set in stone:) I got the Disney Free Dining email. I called Disney (they were super nice) to play around with a future date ( a big maybe ). I plugged in mid september. It will all depend on when you are going. And if you are flying, free airport transportation! You don't need to rent a car if you stay on Disney grounds...one less expense. Don't get me wrong....I love Shades of Green!!! Disney gives you another option:) Love Disney!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Another important thing to know is if you book a disney resort with the discount you can pay for the dining plan without adding tickets. Then you buy the military discount tickets.

My daughter was going to only stay 4 nights Disney at a value military discount and 4 nights if the dining plan. Then move near Seaworld. She then went with 6 nights value, free dining plan with 2 day base tickets. They will have military discount 4 day tickets with hopper and water park. Doing it this way was about the same with 2 more nights of meals. They will now use their base tickets for the first night and after seaworld since it closes early.

It really does pay off to check all prices. SOG is nice, but you do have to add in transportation to the resort if flying.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Sounds like a wash, I am coming from the Tampa area and have a rent a car.

I was just curious how much the savings were between SOG and a Disney resort with dining plan.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

"TheMacsfivepl.." Did your daughter have to get the 2 day base ticket? We bought the 4 day tickets with hopper and water park and couldn't do it all in one visit. Going back to finish using it! We did throw a day at seaworld into both of the trips. Did she look into seaworld military special?

I know our first visit several years ago...I had no idea about any of these great discounts. All good information to share:)

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

"BrightonBill" you will love Shades:) If you get a second, call Disney to see the difference. Either way it's Disney...Enjoy!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Yes we have stayed at SOG twice before and yes, we do love it.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

You have to get at least two days for the free dining. They will use them, she had been several times but her husband has never been. The 2 day tickets help since MK is open late the day they arrive but they didnt want to use a ticket for part of a day. Now they can.

Yes they know about Seaworld which is why they added it.

They also got to add two more ADR's.

Brighton- The rooms at a value would be cheaper but not as nice. The moderates about the same I believe. It is a plus that you get the transport from the airport and you can add the dining plan without tickets, even paying for the dining plan is a good deal.

pa
Level Contributor
54,088 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Resort...great Military Discount!

Polynesian, 5 nights/6day room only, rack rate $2,300

Add the dining ( 2 adults, 2 kids over 9 ) $1,060

Add 2 day Park Tickets ( have APs so just adding the minimum here ) $720

Total is $ 4,080

Free Dining Offer with same 2 day park tickets is $3,200

Savings $880

Room only with AP room discount is about $1,200

Add dining $1,060

Total $ 2,260

Savings $1,820

Cost per person per day for everything is $94. I am always quite pleased if I can get the bottom line to $100 or less per day per person :)

It's all about crunching the numbers and staying at a Swell Resort of course, that's all part of the Holiday, for us anyway