We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

ayr
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

clickorlando.com/news/…index.html Is this getting worse or has it always been a problem? I dont fancy getting held up at gunpoint with my family on holiday!!

pa
Level Contributor
54,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Orlando is a Big City, anything could happen. Yes, I believe crime is worse than 20 years ago, and alot worse than 40 years ago. There is crime, can't ignore that. We don't find staying on Idrive very appealing, we much prefer the safety of Disney Resorts. Some think we are in a bubble there and maybe we are, we like that bit, like being in a safe and Comy zone when on Holiday. We live in the "Real World" the rest of the year, the World with crime and crowded cities. Yes, even something "could happen" at Disney but I know I am being looked after there, at least there is Security everywhere, Cameras everywhere and the cost of staying there and visiting the Parks is worth that ( also think it cuts down the potential for crime, criminals, I would think, don't spend money to hang out at Disney )

ayr
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

yes i would agree but i would say over half of tourists dont stay in disney because of the high cost .

pa
Level Contributor
54,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Really, what would the reason be ?

ayr
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Cheaper food and hotels on international drive

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

phil, you might want to post this on the Orlando forum too, it may be of interest to some over there.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Very scary! This is one of the reasons we stayed in Disney, felt so much safer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Idrive is nearer to more dangerous areas of Orlando than say LBV and Disney. This means the toursts there are closer to the criminals and it takes less effort to target those areas than it would equivalent disney areas.

and yes, there is more crime on Idrive but I have stopped pointing it out as I get slammed by Idrive lovers everytime I do.

Phil, you are the one pointing out the crime so either you want to stay there or not is your choice (it won 't be mine). there are 2 ways round this- stay on the more southern parts of Idrive near pt orlando and south, or stay in LBV in the DTD/Palm pkwy/Crossroads areas where there are loads of restaurants to walk to as well.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

See what the orlando forum says, but I suspect you will get the "oh nothing ever happens to me there" brigade who fail to see there is any risk at all.

At least you are forwarned/armed.

ayr
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

ok im staying rosen inn pointe orlando

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourists on international drive being targeted ?

Great budget choice for that area.