We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for villa.....

u.k
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for villa.....

We paid the deposit on our villa rental last year and the balance is due at the end of April. My question is......is there any way I can check that they really are the villa owners before I part with my very hard-earned cash? The villa is in the formosa gardens area.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for villa.....

You can see if they have paid their taxes by going to the county property appraiser website (google it) and search by their name. I find that if you have good communication with the owner and they are happy to answer any questions then usually they are kosher. We always rent privately and up to now have never come unstuck

u.k
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for villa.....

Tried this advice but either I'm doing something wrong or the website isn't working properly. Any villa owners out there who can advise me how I can find out for certain if the people I intend renting from are genuine?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for villa.....

If the villa is in for instance Polk county then google Polk county property appraiser this is the only way to find out for certain I do it everytime

u.k
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for villa.....

It's in Osceola and its not returning anything when I put in his name. He advertises his villa here on Tripadvisor and Holiday Lettings and VRWD ( hope that's correct,lol) so maybe I'm just worrying about nothing? Just want to be certain before I pay.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,221 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for villa.....

Formosa Gardens area is Kissimmee so would be Osceola Coutny

ira.property-appraiser.org/PropertySearch/

Sometimes less is better. Name OR Address. Not both.

If doing name it should be last name first and then first name WITHOUT a comma. If they have a name like "Joe" it is probably recorded as "Joseph" - sometimes you have to play around.

If doing by address there are separate boxes for the house number and the street name.

Once you have that info, you can also check the Tax Collector site to make sure they have paid their property taxes as well as the Clerk of Court site to make sure they aren't in foreclosure or don't have liens against them which would be a red flag to me

uk
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for villa.....

Property taxes are not the best indicator as thye are sometines paid by the bank or in company even if the mortgage hasn't been paid so always check the official records site for the real truth.If you want to pm me the owners details I can check for you

7. Re: Paying for villa.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41