We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

I have 1 opportunity to take a shopping trip. This trip is all about shopping. Not high priced boutique shopping but great deals shopping and lots of them. I've read that Orlando is the mecca of discount shopping. Can anyone help me..I was thinking Chicago or NYC but now I'm wondering if Orlando is the best place?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

There are a lot of Outlets in Orlando, but there's no different stores that what you can find at your local Outlet.

My Mom and I took a long weekend to visit the Mall of America (and an extra suitcase!) It was a great time! You'll hit the same stores, but there's SO many of them under the same roof, it's so much fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that Orlando is the #4 shopping destination in America. Lovely malls and some cracking deals to be had at the outlets. Can't remember the top 3 unfortunately.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

I've always heard that outlet malls sell clothing that is not good enough to be sold in normal stores - bad stitching, discoloration, etc. Is the price discounted enough to buy subpar clothing?

Staffs UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

YES! It may be because I am from the UK and we don't have Brighton, Victoria's Secret etc but the shopping in Orlando is amazing - not just the outlets - be sure to visit Millenia Mall!

Illinois
Level Contributor
384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

The outlet malls usually do carry clothes that are off just a bit. sometimes it could just be a button is missing. Personally, i don't think the outlet malls are really any cheaper than the regular malls. Don't come to Chicago if your looking for a bargin. With their sales tax rate you will never get a good deal.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

Yes, FL Mall. millenia Mall and both premium outlets have really good deals!

UK
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

Its a better experience shopping in Orlando than the UK so we think its worth it, but there is plenty of other shopping destinations like New York and Chicago if you want more choice though Orlando is quite high on the list due to lower prices. Cheshire Oaks outlets and the trafford centre are quite good in the UK, but they don't have food courts like the one in florida mall and millenia mall. As for outlet malls it depends on the store some stores have a habit of selling any old thing they can i think it ruins their brand i buy from outlets, but always check what i am buying first. I have a habit of ruining clothes lately therefore i want a good look for cheap.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

galveston_gal: I do most of my shopping in the Outlet stores. There are some stores that sell their clothing that is "off." But the Banana Republic, Gap, & Ann Taylor Loft outlets just have different styles that are cheaper than the regular stores. I've never had an issue.

I'm also in love with the BCBG outlets. In their cases, the clothes are a season or two old but have fantastic deals. And really, a black dress you can't tell is a season or two old ;)

To the OP: another idea might be to go over to PA for your shopping. If you head to the Philly area you have the King of Prussia mall and the Premium Outlets to shop at. The nice thing about PA is that there's no Sales Tax on clothing! (well, "necessary" clothing. There's still tax on evening wear and swimsuits...)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

Dallas is also a shopping magnet. During school clothes shopping periods, people come from out of state and all around Texas to shop in Dallas. The malls range from high dollar NorthPark with Prada, Armani, Roberto Cavalli, and Neiman-Marcus to more standard priced malls where everyday shoppers shop. I love to walk around the Cavalli store just because he uses such beautiful colors, but I can't afford to do anything other than look. They are always very nice about it.

kent
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please. Hard Core Shopper..is Orlando the place to go?

I prefer Orlando to NYC for shopping, in NYC everything is a long walk away but Orlando is great as you can go each different mall have a good shop then chill for a bit in a swiming pool in the sun, and the hotels are cheaper in Orlando, just my opinion.