We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Drive - is it safe?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
International Drive - is it safe?

Hi

This will be our first trip this year and I'm thinking of staying on International Drive but I've been told it's not safe? I like the idea of being able to go out and walk in the evening and perhaps a bit of shopping during the day without taking the car and thought that I.D. would tick all the boxes - but a friend who was there last year told me its full of muggers etc! Surely not?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
International Drive
International Drive
4,362 Reviews
Orlando, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Blackbird Vintage Music
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Shooting Gallery
Gift & Speciality Shops
Bolton
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

Come on now? If it was full of muggers and thiefs , i don't think anyone would stay there! Doesn't matter where u live or work, common sense of what to lookout for is the rule. If I drive worries you so much stay in LBV or Kissimmee hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
Pompey
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

As long as you're not walking around late at night when there are no other tourists about you should be as safe as anywhere. Just be aware of your suroundings. ;-)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

It's a s safe as anywhere. Like visiting any unfimiliar town in any country take the usual precautions, don't wander into unlit areas at night, stay in the busy parts. Don't carry wads of cash or passports around with you. IDrive is not "full of muggers etc" like any city in any country of the world it has had it's moments. Thousands of tourists stay on IDrive every year without incurring a problem.

It's no more unsafe than Falkirk I would imagine:)

Blackburn
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

we have stayed on I-Drive 10 times we love it never had any trouble. i walked round it last year on my own cuz my hubby was sunburned really bad and couldn't get out the hotel room.

Don't worry have fun you'll love it x

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

Thanks guys that's what I was hoping you would tell me - now my only problem is which hotel to choose?x

UK
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

Depends on your budget Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando a nice hotel at a good price or peabody orlando a high end hotel at a decent price.

Mentioned in this post
Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando
Rosen Inn at Pointe...
8,400 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Atlanta
Level Contributor
585 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

I-Drive is certainly safe but there is a very nice section south/west of Sand Lake Drive which is much newer than the area north/east of Sand Lake Drive.

Waterford,ireland
Level Contributor
283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

Just use common sense and you will be ok, We have been to Orlando 5 times and never had a problem being out at night with kids - we have always stayed om I-drive- As previous posters have stated it is nicer south of Sand lake road.

Plenty of nice places to stay just check them out first

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

I would not go so far as to say it is unsafe, but I won't go all the other way either and say it is completely safe.

It is a long road, and the far nothern areas are closer to high crime areas of orlando than the southern part.

I would stay South of Sand Lake road, I would not carry a alrge amt of money/valuables, I would keep my wits about me, I would take taxis late at night. And I would choose a hotel that didn't have outside corridors perhaps.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Bolton
Level Contributor
231 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International Drive - is it safe?

All good advice from Amanx as usual. There are lots of hotels to choose from south of sandlake on I drive,