We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I learned from our spring break trip

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Things I learned from our spring break trip

I don't really have time to post a whole trip report although I might sometime this week when we have a break from school for Easter. But here are some things we learned during our trip...

1. Ice water really is free at the counter service restaurants, they have no problem giving you whatever size you ask for.

2. Even though it was dubbed a very busy week (March 24-31) we found the lines to be a reasonable 40 minutes or less for the most part. Anything over 40 minutes we were able to get a fastpass for with a reasonable return time. We were unable to get a fastpass for Toy Story or Buzz Lightyear because they were either not available or were for late at night so we had to wait in line an hour for those.

3. Pre-ordering the photopass cd was the best thing we ever did! I didn't have to worry about pulling out my camera for everything because we got all of the characters and major backgrounds from the photographers. They were also really good about getting pictures of the kids reactions as they interacted with the characters before the posed pictures. The magical pictures were so fun as well. We got 2 different Tinkerbells (hint: the photogs at AK told us that each park has a different Tinkerbell magical shot), a baby Simba, 2 Stitch's popping out of the ground, and the balloons.

4. The kids favorite thing was the dance party in Tomorrow-land from 5-10pm every day. They got to dance around with Goofy, Pluto, and Stitch for as long as we would allow them. The characters literally grabbed random kids' hands and danced with them.

5. The park food is not as expensive as people seem to think. Kid's meals at every counter-service restaurant are $5.49 and come with a main entree (chicken nuggets, cheeseburger, peanut butter & jelly, macaroni & cheese, etc), 2 sides (grapes, yogurt, fries, cookie, etc) and a drink. The adult meals were all around $9 and came with a huge burger and fries, or a huge salad, or a pasta plate, etc. A snack such as a big soft pretzel or a decent cup of ice cream were $4. All sodas were closer to $3.

6. The Restaurantosaurus restaurant in Dino-land at Animal Kingdom actually offered FREE REFILLS. I couldn't believe it as I had not seen another restaurant offer that. We did pay $6.99 for their kid's meals but it was only because it came with the bucket and shovel, if I had known I'm sure I could have ordered it without that for the $5.49 price. It also had a great condiment bar.

7. The only characters that have a fastpasses are the Storybook Princesses in Town Square at Magic Kingdom, and even with the fastpass the line took about 20-30 minutes.

8. The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is amazing! Definitely one not to miss. It's a live show where they perform Cirque-like acts and sing and dance.

9. The character lines at Animal Kingdom in Camp Minnie Mickey were very short and moved very quickly compared to others.

That's all I can think of for now, but if I think of more I will just add it on :)

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
471 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
187 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
3-Attraction Ticket: The Coca-Cola...
14 reviews
from US$49.99*
US$87.87
Kennedy Space Center Ultimate...
77 reviews
from US$168.99*
Connecticut
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Thank you so much - really helpful info. HOw old are your kids?

Nevada
Level Contributor
47 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Cool! I would love to hear more when you have time

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

My kids are 6 and 10 and I promise I will try to come up with a trip report this week :)

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Great tips. We leave in 4 days, and the last thing I have to figure out is if we should preorder the cd. Besides being cheaper and what you wrote, any other benefits you found? I figure it might be easier to decide on the pics when we get back

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Great list. I will remember some of these.

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
182 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Thanks for the tips. We leave in 1 week.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Thanks for the info--more things to add to my list :-)!

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

oh419: the deciding factor for me in pre-purchasing the cd was that it was completely refundable if you decide you don't like the pictures and don't want to pay for the cd. This allowed me to take a chance on it without losing my $100. I have to say that the pictures definitely are not like professional photos you would pay to have done, but the convenience is totally worth the cost, especially with photographers posted everywhere. As others have said, the photogs are definitely willing to take pictures with your camera as well, but it was just nice to make sure that everyone is in the picture and we had more family photos than ever!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

Good tips, look forward to a full report! (did you not believe us about the free ice water...lol)!!

Clarksville, IN
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things I learned from our spring break trip

princess- it was just one of those things that is hard to believe. You see tons of people opt to choose a bottled water at the stands and counters you have to wonder why they do that when the ice water is free. It was a great opportunity to save $3 a pop!