We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the difference?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
whats the difference?

ok, i am going to show my ignorance here, but people mention walmart, and walgreens, and pix something... what is the best value/general store for food shopping?

thanks

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the difference?

Publix is a Grocery Store. Walmart also sells grocery items but is huge and sells many other things like clothes and tools and electronics and you name it ( I have a hard time buying socks and steaks in the same store so Publix would be my choice for Groceries/food :)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the difference?

I'd vote for Publix for your general food items, Walmart has the same sort of items but Publix is just nicer somehow. Walgreens tends to cater more for your pharmaceutical needs but does also have food, toiletries, toys, make-up etc

Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the difference?

Walmart is an "experience"!

BUT I prefer Publix.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats the difference?

Walmart = ASDA

Publix = Sainsbury or Waitrose

Walgreens = Boots/Superdrug with a bit of food thrown in

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whats the difference?

Susie, is Publix much more expensive than Walmart then? xx

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whats the difference?

Yes a bit but better quality food

Walmart is good for stocking up if you are in villa but if you are only buying bits then Publix is nice and a much friendlier experience some of the cashiers at Walmart have been trained by the SS I think!!!

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whats the difference?

I worked at Asda when Wallmart took over, they showed us dvds of the Wallmarts in America i couldnt believe the size of the place! I remember they had lobsters in a tank to buy, do they in Orlando? not that i want to buy one though! xx

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: whats the difference?

I've never seen lobsters but at the one in Haines City which is massive they do sell rifles and car tyres!!!

Barnsley England
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whats the difference?

Blimey that is a one stop shop!! haha xx

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: whats the difference?

Publix have live lobsters for sale

This is how we use them...

Publix for weekly grocery shopping

Walmart or Target for things like toothpaste, shampoo, laundry detergent, toilet paper, seasonal items such as Easter candy, toys, etc.

Walgreens to fill our prescriptions or for over the counter medicine if we're sick

Walmart truly does have everyday low prices on most things. We'd probably do more grocery shopping there if it wasn't always so crazy. As said, Publix is just nicer for such things.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 12:56