I'm about to book for September 2012. I found the 2012 Disney Hurricane policy (below) but it only protects bookings direct with Disney. …go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/
I've been talking to Dreams Unlimited (they have hold for me) and am close to paying my deposit.
** Am I crazy to do direct with Disney for just this difference? **
Dreams Unlimited (Nicole) has been great but what else do they do that's so awesome (make changes, itineraries, touring plans, tips & tricks, etc.)?
What has been your experience with third party bookings in this scenario (although I'm sorry if anyone has been through it!)?
PS I know it's the height of hurricane season. Also know it's unlikely to hit/happen/make a difference ... but I'm a naturally cautious gal. (Especially having only just recovered from sticker shock of our big, on-site, Disney hotel, tickets and meal costs!!)
Thanks again... LOVE this site!