We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

I'm about to book for September 2012. I found the 2012 Disney Hurricane policy (below) but it only protects bookings direct with Disney. …go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/

I've been talking to Dreams Unlimited (they have hold for me) and am close to paying my deposit.

** Am I crazy to do direct with Disney for just this difference? **

Dreams Unlimited (Nicole) has been great but what else do they do that's so awesome (make changes, itineraries, touring plans, tips & tricks, etc.)?

What has been your experience with third party bookings in this scenario (although I'm sorry if anyone has been through it!)?

PS I know it's the height of hurricane season. Also know it's unlikely to hit/happen/make a difference ... but I'm a naturally cautious gal. (Especially having only just recovered from sticker shock of our big, on-site, Disney hotel, tickets and meal costs!!)

Thanks again... LOVE this site!

brighton, england
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

I may be wrong, but I think a booking with Dreams Unlimited IS a booking direct with disney, they just make it for you and search out the best deals.

Have you asked your TA about this? They may have their own insurance if they don't come under the disney policy.

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

I believe sophe to be correct

I use dreams alot, they book your reservation "Directly" with Disney, you are given a Disney Reservation number, your deposit and all payments go "Directly" to Disney, you are Booking a Direct Reservation with Disney

Send your Agent an email but I don't think you have anything to worry about

Don't think you need to worry about a hurricane either, we travel during hurricane season all the time, every year for the past 40 years and we have never had a Hurricane interrupt or Disney Holidays :)

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

Yes, I have used them and they do every thing so simple :-)

this year I have to do all my dinings bookings by myself and I start to think that that I was very spoilt when they did every thing for me :-)

And Your payment goes directly to Disney are You travel so You get the free dining ? if there pops up a better offer that will suit You and Your family they will ask You if You want to change it and its free :-)

Mutter

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

when can they predict what the summer is going to be like , ie is it going be bad year for hurricanes or not?

if people don't i i'm going in sep and i'm really worried about the weather , kinda wished i booked to go in may now

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

Sort of why I like to go in October , but also because of the schools holiday here

But its really warm and nice in September so I think You will be fine

Mutter

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

this is the page You can follow to see whats going on in the area around

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Mutter

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

Well we always go first two weeks of September (although going on 27th August this year) and never had a problem with the weather, so I would not worry too much about it.

Cumbernauld, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

This is our 4th time going in September

Never had a problem with hurricanes yet

Had fabulous rain, thunder and lightening storms though :-))

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

my fave time to go! great weather, low crowds :-)

my first visit in 2004, i got caught in hurricane jeanne, the last of the 4 poor orlando got hit with that year. there was already alot of debris and damage to things like the rooves of private houses, but you're safe in hotels and timeshares because they're built very well. the locals are quite chilled out it, but my friend and i were frightened tbh :-)

the worst thing was the fear of the unknown, honestly. it was noisy and hot (because the power was out and there was no aircon) and there was a curfew all day (not that you'd want to go out!) so we stayed in wearing our pyjamas and reading, listening to the battery-powered radio we were told to buy in a checklist pinned to the door (think that list was more scary than the hurricane! water, candles, matches, unperishable food, etc. you've not seen panic-buying unless you saw us at walmart, lol!!)

all in all we lost a day of hols, but came back with a story to tell. i still go during hurricane season. once you're there it's ok, it's just a problem if you get delayed inbound/outbound.

enjoy xx

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane policy 2012 / book direct v. Dreams Unlimited?

Don't worry, any hurricanes will hit early June when I am going. Over the years I have had, jumbo jet crashes, tornadoes, flash floods, abandoned by our cruise ship for a whole day and our plane missing the runway, I am not even sure why I go on holiday/vacation any more.