We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi everyone.

First time in Orlando for our family of 4, kids aged 7 & 9. Wifi is completely erratic, but I will do my best to do a live trip report. Bit of catching up to do first though as it's already the end of day 2 before I worked out the wifi.

Arrival day

Left 11am and arrived 3pm local time. Worst ever flight as it was really windy at MCO. I was still clutching my sick bag looking green once we had got through customs!

Picked up the Alamo car after declining an upgrade (our cases just fitted into our chosen car - who says kids need leg room and to be able to put their feet in the foot wells....) and the upgrade was nearly the same price again. And declining road side assistance insurance for just 4.99 per day! Annoyingly they have added $60 for a full tank of petrol without asking us. We were expecting to take it back empty but we didn't spot this until reading the paperwork once at the house.

Sat nav was great and got us straight to the property. Which is lucky as we don't seem to be able to understand the road signs.

First impressions is how huge everything is, roads, parking lots, beds, rooms, everything is spacious.

Checked out the house, free upgrade to 4 bed from 3 bed so tons of space. Then walmart for essential supplies. Managed to do groceries only then left without seeing the next 2/3 of the shop. Kids were about to drop down, it was 1am home time after a really late night the previous night and sadly no sleep on the plane.

We were all in bed by 9pm, felt like 2am, and we all slept until 5am although the adults did wake up a few times through the night.

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Glad you arrived safe and sound. Have a fantastic time. Looking forward to your TRs :)

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Day 1. Epcot.

Easter Saturday. Up at 5am and arrived at Epcot 8.30 just in time for rope drop 10 mins early. Dashed straight for soarin and had a 20 minute wait. Was a great ride. Then we did all the other rides on that half with less than 5 minute waits then went to japan for early lunch.

Walked round the countries stopping at some of them. Norway boat ride was our favourite. I liked the china 360 film a lot too. Once we got to rest track the FPs had all gone. We mooches a bit and planned to do spaceship earth on the way out. It was only 20 minute wait but we were so tired we decided to call it a day. We did all the key things we wanted to do apart from test track but we'd like to go back to see innovations and so other shows we didn't have time for.

Back to walmart on the way home for more water and ice-cream. The tap water here is just gross! Had pizza at home for tea then fell unto bed at 9pm.

Weather quite cool for the time if year. Max 26. Was quite chilly in a sun top at 9am but by 3pm we were baked, and sunburnt. Lots of indoor a/c rides at epcot which is good.

UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Sounds like a wonderful first day ... look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Gx

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Really good to hear all your news, the first few days are pretty exhausting taking into account the jet lag and the start of your busy park days. You are doing the right thing though by leaving when you have had enough.

You can always do the rest of Epcot and stay later to watch the firework display another time, maybe after half a day in a water park. This is often how we do it. Have another great day tomorrow.

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Thanks. We've actually lasted 9-3 then 8-5 at the parks which I am really surprised about. Much less exhausted than i expected, apart from the first evening we arrived which was pretty bad. We aren't planning any fireworks until next week when we stop all waking up at 3am...

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Thanks for writing and sharing with us! You all sound so tired. I'm sure it will pass. Have fun :)

UK
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Thanks I love live trip reports.

newcastle
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Love the trip reports.

Best way for the jet lag is exactly what you're doing by getting to park early and leave early. You also get more rides done.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Don't worry about not understanding the road signs. We have made almost 50 visits to the USA, driven all over and still get confused!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Yaay you're there,your villa sounds fab , glad you enjoyed Epcot,look forward to more reports if you are able :)