We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi everyone.

First time in Orlando for our family of 4, kids aged 7 & 9. Wifi is completely erratic, but I will do my best to do a live trip report. Bit of catching up to do first though as it's already the end of day 2 before I worked out the wifi.

Arrival day

Left 11am and arrived 3pm local time. Worst ever flight as it was really windy at MCO. I was still clutching my sick bag looking green once we had got through customs!

Picked up the Alamo car after declining an upgrade (our cases just fitted into our chosen car - who says kids need leg room and to be able to put their feet in the foot wells....) and the upgrade was nearly the same price again. And declining road side assistance insurance for just 4.99 per day! Annoyingly they have added $60 for a full tank of petrol without asking us. We were expecting to take it back empty but we didn't spot this until reading the paperwork once at the house.

Sat nav was great and got us straight to the property. Which is lucky as we don't seem to be able to understand the road signs.

First impressions is how huge everything is, roads, parking lots, beds, rooms, everything is spacious.

Checked out the house, free upgrade to 4 bed from 3 bed so tons of space. Then walmart for essential supplies. Managed to do groceries only then left without seeing the next 2/3 of the shop. Kids were about to drop down, it was 1am home time after a really late night the previous night and sadly no sleep on the plane.

We were all in bed by 9pm, felt like 2am, and we all slept until 5am although the adults did wake up a few times through the night.

Thanks

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi -your TR's are great -we fly out on Virgin from Manchester on 13 May-could you tell me what the seating arrangement is on the plane ?Strange how the days vary for queues -we always found US to be quiet and the HS even quieter-hope the rest of your stay is as good -dont knock the heat -we have been there when there was terrential rain and I mean TERRENTIAL-not nice !!!

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Can I ask who you booked your villa through please. Your report has helped me massively, especially the bits about the water parks, although my kids are young they are real dare devils and small water rides will not satisfy, I know which water park to try first now.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Great reports, that weather is hot !! Good idea about going to the water parks late afternoon,suppose you can in really hot weather. Good tip though. :)

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

well sounds like US is not your cup of tea,but i'm glad that you are enjoying your time at the water parks.i hope that the rest of your holiday is great!! realy nice trip reports...

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Day 5. MK.

Park opened at 8 but we didn't arrive until 9 as the kids were still asleep. DS is a bit unwell with a bad cough and is much more tired than usual so we let him lie in.

Soooo much busier arriving a bit later. Had to queue for the tram then long queue for the monorail - which took us via the poly and 2 other hotels on the way to MK. Tried not to be annoyed but enjoyed seeing the resorts and working out where the monorail runs.

Following a 2 day MK touring plan today and headed straight for Fantasyland. Worried how huge the queues were going to be but we managed well. Got FP for Pooh the rode Snow White. Said 20 mins but was only 10. Then still time for small world. We walked on despite 10 min queue as there were 2 lanes and everyone was taking the right one so we took left and overtook them all! Then time for Pooh FP where there was still a 10 min queue although it was an hour for stand-bys. Then we sent DH for splash mountain FP while we sat and rested as DS was looking pretty ill. Rode haunted mansion with a very short wait and then pottered about frontier land, tried a corn dog (yum) and got a second FP for splash hoping we liked it then did the ride. Again over an hour standby and about 5-10 with FP. Was much longer than I expected and I loved the theming but not the trick down and ups in the dark! We all got wet shorts and splashed tops but not the drenching I got on Kali river rapids.

Felt like we'd packed enough rides in and the paths were very crowded by about 1pm so we took the raft to Tom Sawyer island and found a lovely shaded spot for lunch. Kids loved exploring and I had a rest in the shade. It was good to have some time out to chill and get away from the crowds. Went back over on the raft and had a second run on splash mountain. Kids liked it the first time best, but I preferred it the second time around as I knew what to expect and I saw a lot of details I missed the first time. This may have been helped by the fact I swapped my sunglasses for glasses second time as a lot of the ride is dim lighting indoors!

Decided to call it a day after that and left the park just before we got blocked in by the parade. Quick run about 10 metres in front of it and then we went to catch the ferry which wasn't working so we got the monorail again. Took an incredible 45 minutes to get to the car, think I prefer epcot and AK parking but I can see how MK is set up better for staying on-site. Made me wonder about parking at epcot and getting to monorail to MK from there, it would probably be quicker!

All completely pooped, over hot, ran out of water (I'm not usually fussy about water but the water in the drinking fountains is horrid!)  ill DS and me having a migraine so we came home for ice cream and cups of British tea!  I really liked MK though, I liked all the rides and had got a bit tired of so many 3d shows with spitting water and bumpy seats!

Found publix instead of walmart for a stock up - so much nicer! We seem to be spending a lot of money in supermarkets though, not sure it's any cheaper than eating out when we spend over $100 there nearly every day!

Really early night for us all tonight (8.30pm!) and Kennedy Space Centre tomorrow.

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

In response to comments...

We flew on the A330 but virgin do fly the old plane from Manchester too. You can see the seating plan online. Ours was 2-4-2 across. We had a 2 and 2 behind each other so we had 2 window seats. It worked great.

We booked with travel republic. Good prices. I had to contact them to get directions for property and code for gate etc. Not sure if they would have sent this to us if I hadn't chased it. Property is spacious, nice kit, and fab location just 10 mins from Disney. But not sure I would recommend it just yet. We have a broken kettle reported 3 days ago and still not replaced, I'm boiling saucepans of water for tea. Also the kitchen wasn't v clean when we arrived. So not great but nothing disastrous. Not sure what the response would be like if something significant broke though...

No restaurant and food comments as we have packed lunch every day! I had a ham and cheese sandwich on pumpernickel bread x 14 days!

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

And melted cheese sandwiches at that! Goes all gooey and runny it's so hot!

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

you realy got alot done in MK.very nice report..if i were driving and had to park i would park at epcot and catch the rail over to MK as epcot parking is easer.

Leicester
Level Contributor
249 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

great idea about going to the water parks for a couple of hours in the PM - i was stressing about having to fit them in (BF is obsessed with waterparksbut i'm not too bothered) so at least this way you got time in the parks too int he mornings/early PM.

great tip about tom sawyers island for lunch time rest as well.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

It sounds like your touring plan of Magic Kingdom worked well. I don't normally have any kind of touring plan for the parks but think I will need to on this visit. I want my son and his girlfriend to get as much as possible done. I personally don't go on any coaster rides or anything with drops or bumps but I am sure they will want to do everything, especially as she hasn't been before.

Could I ask where you got the touring plan from?

Regards,

Deaconblue