We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi everyone.

First time in Orlando for our family of 4, kids aged 7 & 9. Wifi is completely erratic, but I will do my best to do a live trip report. Bit of catching up to do first though as it's already the end of day 2 before I worked out the wifi.

Arrival day

Left 11am and arrived 3pm local time. Worst ever flight as it was really windy at MCO. I was still clutching my sick bag looking green once we had got through customs!

Picked up the Alamo car after declining an upgrade (our cases just fitted into our chosen car - who says kids need leg room and to be able to put their feet in the foot wells....) and the upgrade was nearly the same price again. And declining road side assistance insurance for just 4.99 per day! Annoyingly they have added $60 for a full tank of petrol without asking us. We were expecting to take it back empty but we didn't spot this until reading the paperwork once at the house.

Sat nav was great and got us straight to the property. Which is lucky as we don't seem to be able to understand the road signs.

First impressions is how huge everything is, roads, parking lots, beds, rooms, everything is spacious.

Checked out the house, free upgrade to 4 bed from 3 bed so tons of space. Then walmart for essential supplies. Managed to do groceries only then left without seeing the next 2/3 of the shop. Kids were about to drop down, it was 1am home time after a really late night the previous night and sadly no sleep on the plane.

We were all in bed by 9pm, felt like 2am, and we all slept until 5am although the adults did wake up a few times through the night.

Thanks

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi my hubby and I were wondering what you are doing for your breakfast and evening meals ? As going to the supermarket there is really expensive. We love going to the goldencorral for a big breakfast that normally keeps us full throughout the day and is really cheap. Then on way home depending on what time ,we stop off at places on the 192 or grab a Wendy's they are the tastiest burgers ever.

we never take packed lunches if we grab a burger in Disney it only costs about $40 and we are a family of 5 .

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi m2dov. We're not big breakfast eaters so a bowl of cereals and good coffee is fine for us. Food is no more expensive in us than uk, probably just we buy too much (plus sunscreen etc all adds up). Last two days we had pizza and next day a cooked deli chicken which came with 2 side dishes, roll and iced tea for $10 for 4 people.

We will try eating out in the evening soon!

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
63. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

With regards to touring plans I have bought the undercover guide and signed up to touringplans.com. Used the crowd calendar to base which days to visit which park. Often used the plan for "active seniors"!! As this skips the most rough rides and gas least walking between rides as dd doesn't walk well and is too heavy for piggy backs now!

There are also cheat sheets I've printed out on line. These tell u which rides get busiest at which times of the day. Often I follow a plan until lunchtime then make something up from the afternoon based on the cheat sheets, picking things which dont ever get too busy. Anything too busy we skip until next week

Overall the touring plans have worked fantastically well and at Disney 20 mins has been our longest line ever, over the whole Easter period. The plan for univ studios didn't work but rest have been fab.

It's such a good feeling walking straight onto a ride in a 10/10 park crowd level and walking past 70 minute queues. And I feel we have done all the rides we wanted to do each day.

I know others knock "plans" but for us it's fantastic and aa flexible as we need too. When we went to Eurodisney few years ago we stood in so many queues and it took 2 days to work out what the fastpass was and to get one!!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Thanks for the info on virgin flights -ours is a morning flight so we should get the same seating as you did-last time we were there we found the Ponderosa on 192 to be good value for an evening meal also Perkins are pretty good too-I personally would not eat at Disney-too expensive -Publix did a massive Sub Roll which we bought instead of making up sandwiches-you pick your fillings and they are enormous-give yourself a break from sandwich making!!You might want to try chilling in the mornings and going later in the afternoon-not as hot or as crowded especially around dusk-anyway enjoy and thanks for the TR

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Hi Kennetti. Looks like we will be on the same flight as you. Counting down the hours to our first Disney trip. If you hear two over excited boys on the plane, they will most likely be mine!

Hi Mum of Two Midlands. Have wondered about subscribing to Touringplans. Got the Unofficial guide which, along with this site, has proved invaluable. Do you recommend the extra subscription, especially as we are first timers?

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Fab reports, i can really relate to waking up at 2 am/4am etc bodyclock gets confused. I also think that US is my least favourite park, and BB is better than TL. Teamboat springs in super. We use Touring plans as well to decide on parks for that day.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Awesome trip report. Look forward to the rest of your trip and Kennedy Space Center. We leave May 23:)

Stockton-on-Tees
Level Contributor
25 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Lovely to read your trip reports. If you're looking for a reasonably priced, relaxed meal then can I suggest you look up the Sweet Tomatoes chain. My daughters, 14 and 16 ,absolutely love it and although they aren't picky with their food, they are quite choosy, if you see what I mean! It's buffet and vegetarian supposedly but they have pizza and chicken noodle soup for example. They chose Sweet Tomatoes above other much pricier options. They have vouchers on the tables for return visits too!

Hope this helps.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Just seen your post about sick child -have posted on that site-if you have insurance just go and get the treatment -scary to be ill away from home .Don't let it spoil your holiday.child ill at home -no problem -try to get it into perspective

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: We're in Orlando! LIVE trip report.

Thanks for the trip report. We will be traveling to Orlando for the first time in August. I'm especially interested to read what your children enjoyed most as mine are same age as yours. Looking forward to next installment :-)