We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice! Going to Orlando at the end of June with my partner and 8 year old son. How much spending money is decent per day, including meals? Our hotel has free transport to Universal but not to Disney so we'll need to budget for getting to Disney too.

Also, has anyone used the Travel Money Card from Thomson? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

hi we are going in 5week & taking £2000 exchanged to $ hoping for around $3000 so this would work out at around $200 per day, we wont send that on arrival or departure day but we will put what we dont spend to one side for shopping :)

i have a pre loaded travel money card from thomas cook & will put some money on here out of our $3000 & maybe use this for meal times etc.

we are 2adults & 2children age 3 & 6. we do have free transport to all parks though including disney.

hope this helps x

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Look at the charges related to the card plus the rates you get when you withdraw. My Thomson shop were so desperate to get me to load a card that they offered me no loading fee, they are still making money out of that even. I am sure last year it cost to withdraw cash, well 75% sure. I declined, traveller cheques work just as well and so does UK bank cards.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,493 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

I prefer to use credit cards, such as the Post Office Mastercard which is best buy to use abroad.

If you use prepaid credit cards be aware of the fees involved especially when using ATMs.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Hi, we are going in July for 2 wks. I'm aiming to take 2000 pounds for the 3 of us (hubby and 5 year old son) . We will have a car, so monies for meals, snacks and most importantly shopping ;-) .

evesham,uk
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Hi....just a word of warning ...I had one of the thomson cards last year and it didn't work. In the end I took all the money out via cash point as did not work in shops. Have u tried fairfx card?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Hi,

Another one for travellers cheques - easy to use & replace if stolen. Thomson tried to sell me one of their pre-paid cards for our last Orlando trip but neglected to mention the related charges that apply until I pointed this out to them:)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

I have used the CaxtonFX card a few times, and have always been pleased with it. Would recommend.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

I used a thomson travel card last time I was out last year, it was perfectly fine. Just be warned if you withdraw money there is a charge but if you only use it to pay for goods/food like I did it won't cost anything.

I usually allow about $150- 200 per day for myself and my son, however I usually have all my park tickets etc paid for so I am usually only paying for food and some enterainment and usually arrive back with money. I guess it depends or what else you do or where you eat, though eating out is fairly cheap.

Lisburn, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
629 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

We are a family of six, four kids aged 7,6,4&1.5. I have pre-purchased 2x kids eat free cards, as many restaurants av a kids under 5 eat free policy, and all park tickets, plus the hotel has free transfers to all theme parks. We have budgeted for approx $250 per day MAX, so approx £2500 for the 2 weeks. We will be taking a mix of cash and money on a fairfx card, which I use for paying for all meals/food etc

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money/Thomson Travel Money Card

Thanks for all the replies! We're going for 11 nights, will have park tickets before we go. Planning to take around $150 per day, plus credit card for back up - we won't be doing much shopping as my son will hate it. Will steer clear of the travel card, thanks for the advice :)