We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled Traveller

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Disabled Traveller

My father in law is disabled and i was wondering how i go about getting a disabled badge while out there and is it correct that he can get easier access to certain rides?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disabled Traveller

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the Orlando forum.

This previous post might be of some help to you;


A lot/most of the attractions allow for easier access for people with a disability..

Good luck with your plans.

Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disabled Traveller

He can get a GAC, a Guest Assistance Card, and that will allow him a separate entry to the attractions, although I don't know that it's all that much faster, I've read that the wait times can sometimes be as long, it's just more accessible for those that need the extra transfer times, etc. But for those who can't tolerate the heat, etc, it can really help!! Make sure you bring a doctor's note or other verification. Disney is very accessible friendly!!!

Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disabled Traveller

We used this guide which tells exactly what you need to know about all of the rides and shows at Magic Kingdom. It also talks about the GAC card. The disability map at the parks is very confusing for those in wheelchairs or scooters because you really don't know what to expect until you get right up to the ride.


Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disabled Traveller

Hi, if you contact Samantha at this email address;


you will be able to apply for a temporary handicapped parking permit before you go. You will need to scan a copy of both sides of your blue UK disabled badge and a copy of your passport showing your photrgraph and attach them to your email. In the email you need to ask for a 'temprorary handicapped parking permit'. giving the dates you are visiting, where you will be staying whilst there and your full name and address (in the UK) for the permit to be sent to you by mail. They will give you a telephone number to call to pay for it and once you have done this they will send it to you by post. It is $15 and you can use most cards but not VISA. If you want to collect one in person you wil still need to produce your UK badge and your passport at the local tax collectors office. I find it much easier to sort it out before I go. I applied for mine last Tuersday 11th and got an email back the same day. I rang to make the payment and received it the following Tuesday 17th.

The permit entitles you to use 'handicapped' bays but you must still pay parking charges where they are applicable i.e. Theme parks. Most shopping and dining places are free to park at. Getting the permit means you adhere to the law in Florida.



Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disabled Traveller

i take my son's registered disabled card and blue badge for for parks and he gets the red sticker for his buggy to be classed as wheel chair , go to Guest services in Mk and sea world etc

6. Re: Disabled Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:41