We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Hi,

Question from a nervous flyer - I'm wondering what day of the week would have the least busy flight. Also, on Fridays and Saturdays when there are two flights a day, which is likely to be the least busy - the first or second one of the day?

I'd be going with VA from Manchester and just wondered from anyone who'd recently travelled with VA what day / flight they went on and how did they find it - full, busy, noisy?

Thanks.

shropshire
Level Contributor
153 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Hi

Im a very nervous, hate it, whatever you want to call it flyer, in effect that I built myself up to fly from 2 hrs to 3 ect etc, ive flown on many a small plane inter island though, just book what is cheapest for you, the difference of a small amount of time isnt going to count, truat me, as a person that HATES flying it goes really quick x

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Not really sure as have only flown once. If it helps, it was on a Tuesday at the beginning of June and was about 2/3 full.

But Virgin have a fear of flying thing on their entertainment system which is supposed to be really good.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Can't help hugely, except to say that the later flight of the two daily departures is a larger aircraft - a 747. How that will affect your feelings, I don't know.

Having said that ... IF you book Premium Economy (which typically costs quite a lot more) then, unless/until they change things around, there are PE seats in the upstairs cabin on the 747. That cabin is quite small and secluded, so makes for quite a pleasant environment to spend your eight hours or so.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Our last flight was in june last year. We were on VS073 ( 1345), which, as Scan rightly points out, is VA's 2nd flight, which runs on TU/WE/FR/SAT. Last year's flight was one of the quietest ever- barely half full.

Difficult to predict which one of the 2 would be the busiest at any given time, but if i had to say, i'd say the 1st one ( VS075- 1100), due to it being a smaller Aircraft with an average capacity of 314 passengers, compared to 424 for a 747-400.

Agreed, the "Bubble" is a very relaxed atmosphere, offering a mini cabin with just over 40 seats. However, the cost for a premium economy can be more than double that of an economy, so only you can decide if that's worthwhile.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,477 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

We fly next week VA from Manchester and looking at the seating availability the flight looks half empty, its the afternoon flight.

Hope it stays that way cos every other VA flight we have been on has been packed to the rafters!!!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

My daughter is very nervous of flying so last year before we flew to Orlando we went on the Virgin 'Fear of Flying' course at Manchester and it was excellent. I went as my daughter wanted some support but I found it very informative and couldn't believe how many people were on the course. You end the day with a small flight which most people took and the difference in people from first thing in the morning when they were really nervous to 3pm when they took the flight was amazing. The staff are all volunteers and are really good at what they do. I learnt so much that day and am really glad I went on it. When we flew the cabin crew were great with my daughter as they somehow knew she had been on the course and get checking she was ok. Hope this helps.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

I really dont get virgin, why charge passengers 700-900 a seat (Unless you are really lucky) then have half a plane empty. When they could have sold off the remaining seats cheaper ? Its like they only have to make so much money per plane and dont care how many passengers there is?Wouldn't you as passengers rather pay less for your flight and have the plane full?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,477 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

You'd think so wouldn't you Bunny - doesn''t make sense to me either

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

I'm a very, very nervous flyer and last year we travelled Premium Economy with Virgin and it was AMAZING. We sat upstairs and it was soooo quiet, calm and spacious up there. It didn't stop me having terrible thoughts or gripping my seat rest when we hit turbulence though but it definitely helped my state of mind. We are flying PE again in November :o)

I’ve just installed Virgin’s ‘without fear’ app on my phone and it is very good. It explains the noises etc and answers lots of questions you may have that causes anxiety. It also includes breathing exercises etc.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights from Manchester

Hey thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

It's 6 years since I was last on a plane, I've never liked flying much but did it every year because of course I wanted to go on holiday! I guess with not doing it for so long I'm now having to coax myself back. Husband doesn't mind it at all.

It's been 10 years since were last at WDW and we flew PE with VA and it was a great flight. They only did the 747 then and the bigger the plane the happier I am. It's my birthday in November ( one with a "0" on the end!) and I really want to spend it in WDW -who wouldn't! We would go PE but not sure if we could get upstairs as not clear how VA are refurbishing their 747's, so just thought I'd see what anyone of you thought the best day/ time the least busy flight is likely to be so thanks again for all your replies.