We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Just returned from Orlando and saved myself $46 before I had even left the airport. Having done a little searching for reviews on Dollar car hire, I got wind of a tactic to sneak in an inclusive freeway toll package even when you refuse it. When you are at the desk collecting they will take you through the hire agreement on a small electronic device. I know you will be tired but read all the pages so you know what you are paying for. Don’t just skip the pages and trust the sales rep or you may find an unwanted charge on your credit card bill when you get home.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Thanks for the tip off, my daughter is hiring a car through them will warn her to check for any extras they might add.

Hope you had a good holiday and spent your $46.00 wisely. lol

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

This is great info....we are renting from Dollar at MCOin 8 weeks time - was it clearly listed on the paperwork? and did you simply ask them to remove it?

We hired from them before and they tried to charge us for an 'upgraded' car which they told us was complimentary - several weeks after our holiday we got our money back, but it was something we could have done without.

Advice welcome.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

And I might add, if you pay cash at any tolls get a receipt in case they try to charge you with their automatic system (as some have reported here), which you wouldn't know about until you get your next credit card statement.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Did you per-pay for a tank of fuel with the need to return it near to empty? This seems to be in my rental agreement but I would prefer to return it full. Do you get to choose on this?

Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
460 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

We used Dollar last year and we did get offered all sorts of extras including the Sunpass tolls. We said no to all extras and nothing was added. The assistant didn't seemed pleased as no doubt they have targets to meet but if they are adding it on when you have said no that is not good business practice.

I think we needed to return tank empty didn't have option to not pay for fuel as it seems how most car hire companies operate now (except the one we used in Portugal last year we just had enough to make it to the petrol station).

Wales
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

In reply to LauraC47. The only paperwork I had was our booking voucher we printed at home. All the additional legal bit was done at the airport on the electronic gadget they use. I got to about page 6 of the agreement and spotted the freeway toll charge had been slipped in and challenged it. The rep made out it was an error, but the jury is still out, she corrected the problem and we started again from the beginning.

Phil asked a question about fuel. I pre paid for a tank as part of the deal I chose. I didn’t want to leave any fuel in the tank and gauged the contents by using the trip computer. I switched the dash fuel display to distance remaining. I knew our distance from the airport and topped up with just a few dollars to ensure we could reach the airport but no further.

Just other point on fuel. All the fuel stations now require you to pre pay up front before filling. Having made several attempts to pay at the machine with my credit card without any joy I gave up and used cash at the counter. If you do pay with your card at the counter ensure the amount you buy with will go in the tank. EG if you pay for $50 on your card and can only fit $45 worth in they will not give you the $5 back. By UK standards fuel is still cheap at $3.90 a gallon.

When we left the weather was in the mid 80’s and sunny most days. Harry Potter was still the number one attraction in IOA. If you are wanting to ride get their early, on our last day the cue was 2 hours by 9:30

Wales
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

In reply to LauraC47. The only paperwork I had was our booking voucher we printed at home. All the additional legal bit was done at the airport on the electronic gadget they use. I got to about page 6 of the agreement and spotted the freeway toll charge had been slipped in and challenged it. The rep made out it was an error, but the jury is still out, she corrected the problem and we started again from the beginning.

Phil asked a question about fuel. I pre paid for a tank as part of the deal I chose. I didn’t want to leave any fuel in the tank and gauged the contents by using the trip computer. I switched the dash fuel display to distance remaining. I knew our distance from the airport and topped up with just a few dollars to ensure we could reach the airport but no further.

Just other point on fuel. All the fuel stations now require you to pre pay up front before filling. Having made several attempts to pay at the machine with my credit card without any joy I gave up and used cash at the counter. If you do pay with your card at the counter ensure the amount you buy with will go in the tank. EG if you pay for $50 on your card and can only fit $45 worth in they will not give you the $5 back. By UK standards fuel is still cheap at $3.90 a gallon.

When we left the weather was in the mid 80’s and sunny most days. Harry Potter was still the number one attraction in IOA. If you are wanting to ride get their early, on our last day the cue was 2 hours by 9:30

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Garion14....thanks sooo much for the info and tips!! Harry Potter here we come (early tho' :) )

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Garion14....thanks sooo much for the info and tips!! Harry Potter here we come (early tho' :) )

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring a car from Dollar at Orlando MCO, read this.

Dollar will try and get you to pay for a full tank and return empty but it is not compulsory.

Their tank of fuel will cost $60 to $70 and allow you to return car empty.

Returning the car full yourself will cost you $35 to $45