We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

I'm planning on a short stay in the cabins at ft wilderness to celebrate my daughters birthday. Based on photos I had a few questions:

Is there enough room to set up a BBQ lunch for the party on the picnic table /deck?

how many kids do you think would be a max in the above scenario

is there anything special i should let guests know before they arrive; I know they have to park then walk to our cabin, but other than that I don't know what else to tell them. Do you think some can drive up to the cabin to unload thier stuff then drive back to the parking lot to make things easier on them??

is there room on our "lot" to pitch a small tent just for "fun"

what camping type equipment would you recommend bringing other than bug spray. ie would it be helpful to have foldable chairs or tent (as above) and sleeping bags just for fun

any recommendations for which loop is best.

We'll be planning to take the tots to the pony rides (cowgirl theme party) any tips on this

if there is not enough room at the cabin for the party, are there any pavilions like near the pony/stables or playgrounds to reserve for this type of event??

our kids are (turning) 4 and 2 1/2; would you take them kayaking??

do you know if the bike barn has surry's (6 seat bikes) and if so do you know if there are buckles on them for the kids.

We're renting a golf cart and having someone else bring inthe balloons and cake to simplify.

wanted to do mickey's BBQ party but its booked already.

What does everyone think of the hoop de doo musical review?

Man, I know that's a lot of questions...just not sure what to expect there.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

I'll answer a few...the deck is not huge. It was big enough for our family of four and when we had four guests,it was a squeeze so based on that, I would say 6 ir 7 people max for the deck. The guards did not permit any cars other than ours to be parked at the cabin(they're really trailers but really pretty ones);when we had guests,we drove down and picked them up. No camping equipment is allowed to be put up by the cabins-you can have sleeping bags inside but you can't put up a tent or sleep outside in sleeping bags.We had flashlights and battery powered lamps as well as our own grilling equipment. I would not take such young children kayaking-maybe rent a pontoon boat . I don't remember any pavilions by the pony rides but you can always hang out at the beach or move some furniture outside and have some people there and some people on the deck. It sounds like a lot of fun-we haven't stayed here in a couple of years but there's lots of things for kids to do.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,691 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

The guests can park at the outpost visitor's parking lot and ride the internal busses to your cabin, if you can find out which color bus your route is on: it will either be purple, orange or yellow.

Hoop Dee Doo, if you can get into one of the shows, is a lot of fun and the food is very good. In case you can't get in, you might be able to get reservations at the Trail's End restaurant next door, which is where they get the food for the show.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

Thanks all!

I did ask about setting up an additional table next to the cabin or on the deck if there's room and the CM told me that it wouldn't be a problem.

I so hope this works out!

Thought of one more question:

If I bring in the food supplies for the s'mores campfire at night, do I also need to bring in the roasting forks or will they be provided at the fire?

I've gotten a mickey ears birthday hat for my daughter to wear to the campfire hoping to get special attention from Chip n Dale.

Does hoop de doo have any characters show up??

pa
Level Contributor
53,704 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

No Characters at the Hoop Dee Doo, it is a Dinner Show

http://allears.net/din/hddcom.htm

The Mickey's Backyard BBQ may be more fun, there are characters at that

http://allears.net/menu/menu_bbq.htm

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

Wow this sounds like fun....if you want character meal..why dont you try and get chef mickeys at contemporary resort...you can get a boat from fort wilderness straight there.

I dont remember any big areas near the horses but i do remember some picnic benches dotted around. Perhaps you could have a walk around shortly after arriving and see what you can find. Alternatively you could set up another table just outside the cabin..if you park your car elsewhere you could set it up where you car should be parked which is just off the deck..it does really depend on your cabin location.

Whatever happens..it sound like fun..enjoy

Lincoln, Rhode...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

Just to avoid any disappointment I would check the age limit on the horses. When we took our kids for (quite a few years ago), you had to be 9 years old. Our friends' son was turned away because he wouldn't be 9 for another 3 weeks.

Sounds like you will have a blast either way!!!!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
109 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

for the ponies there is a wt and ht MAX (80 pounds and 48 inches). For the horseback riding there is an age minimum but we were going to do the $5 pony ride not the 45min horse back riding.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

good, you seem to know the trail rides and pony riders are different which is what I was going to bring up. as I recall they are there til 5pm. closed toed shoes? not sure if that is a rule, or, if it is, one that is strictly enforced, but something you might need to make the other kids/parents aware of.

a neat party idea. and yes, a lot of questions! the BBQ would be a great fit if you find availability. not sure about Hoop Dee Doo for that age. also I don't think I would do kayaking/canoeing that young. I've been contemplating taking my 4 year old and would be comfortable doing so, but I also used to teach canoeing. no way I'd take a 2.5 year old. how many people are you talking about? you've got about enough room for kids as a picnic table will hold, so yes, not a bad idea to bring some folding chairs and maybe another table. if it doesn't fit on the deck, as suggested, maybe on the ground down from it where the car would normally park or I would probably put it in the kitchen/living area and people can sort of be in both places with the door to the outside left open? i suppose you could ferry back and forth on your golf cart. the kids would probably think that was cool. they won't be able to drive back to drop stuff off or otherwise. and you won't want to have them walk it's a bit too far. they can take the internal bus. you will obviously need ot communicate where you are after you check in anyway so can tell them which of the three colored bus routes to use. we talked about it long ago. someone asked about the grills and were they on the deck or on the ground. we concluded there is a mixture. not sure if they've since made changes - it's been some time since I've walked through the cabin loops - but thought it is worth mentioning that we had an accessible cabin (not because we needed it but because that's what we got) and our grill was on the deck, there was a ramp of course as well as stairs, and so I think the deck bigger. might be worth requesting one? don't recall ever seeing surrey bikes there. they do have a seat/basket up front where a young child could sit strapped in without pedaling though. there is a playground near the pony rides. the only no, no would be if you were planning to go swimming. a bit frowned upon with a group of visitors.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

yes, you'll want to bring forks/sticks for roasting mm or hot dogs

Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,271 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child's birthday party at Fort wilderness cabins

The pony rides will be great-actually the trail ride is sort of boring because the horses walk verrrrrrrry slowly and even for a nine year old,its kind of poking along and you don't see much. But in addition to the pony rides,the barn also holds other horses used at Disney attractions and little kids(ours anyway)adored the barn and the "cowboys" there.You could just take the boat ride back and forth to the MK,its free and well,little kids are easily amused in my experience!We've spent hours riding the monorail round and round