We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
1 post
Save Topic
What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Hi everyone,

I'm Amy, and I am in the process of planning a trip for me, my partner and our 5 year old daughter (who will be 6 at the time) to Orlando. It isn't until possibly over a year away, but I plan on booking it within the next few months so I have plenty of time to pay off the holiday of a lifetime, which will be a lot pricier than last years (Portugal on a budget of £1500).

At the minute i'm bargain hunting and budgeting. I don't have a set in stone budget yet, but i'm hoping to spend less than £6000. I don't think this will be possible, but I am very good at finding the best deals around (due to my obsessive personality!) so fingers crossed.

We are going for three weeks as i've noticed it isn't that much more to go for three than two, and with so much to do i think three is needed.

What i'd like is peoples opinions on where we should DEFINITELY go to while we're in Orlando, and why? What made your holiday to Florida magical? And is there anywhere I should avoid that's a waste of money?

All opinions welcomed :-) Thank you,

Amy

Halifax
Level Contributor
744 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

3 weeks is a good idea - 2 just aint long enough.

All the parks are a must (if you like rides!!) Busch Gardens is our favourite but i think a 6 year old will especially like Disney.

If you are going to Universal during busy season, consider a night on site - the hotels are expensive but you get 2 days q jumping for a 1 night stay and the hotels are fabulous.

If going to Disney for 2 weeks, watch for the offers at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West which include free dining - pays for itself and you get some great places to eat. If not wanting the food then Pop Century is a fantastic disney hotel too.

Have a look on the things to do bit on here - some really good places to go and things to do.

We havent been anywhere i can think of that we considered a waste of time or money - it really is a fantastic place and the best holiday i have ever been on. Only downside is that you will want to go again when you get home!!!!

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Welcome to the forum Amy

Do You want to drive ? www.usrentacar.co.uk

recommend reading on allearsnet since thats the page where every thing is covered just my opinion

Will give You some links to look at and read on

www.Disneyworld.com

www.allearsnet.com

www.wdwinfo.com

www.universalorlando.com

www.undercovertourist.com

Mutter

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Never to early to start planning missamyh, To give you an idea of 'better' months to visit, with regard to crowds, weather and prices - details can be found below, including 2013 dates..

yourfirstvisit.net/2010/…

Park ticket prices normally increase each year around June, (i think) so maybe purchase them ahead of June for holidaying in the same year.

It would be a lovely magical experience for all of you, especially your 6 year old, to stay at a Walt Disney resort if only for some of your holiday. Discounts below for some dates next year....

http://wdtc.disneyinternational.com/

I would say a must do besides all the great theme parks, is a swim with a dolphin. It is really an awesome day, details here .........

http://www.discoverycove.com/

It may seem expensive, but when worked out the price of the swim and all inclusive day, plus the option of adding a 14 day Seaworld/Busch and Aquatica ticket makes the actual day very reasonable. A 14 day ticket for the three parks above are over £90 alone. Although to note, some dates are cheaper than others. We went mid September last year, a much better price than two weeks before.

If possible fly out mid-week, flights can be less. Booking early is sometimes better, sign up for flight alerts/sales with Virgin, BA or other flight web sites. Skyscanner, netflights, opodo, kyak, Its mostly cheaper to book the holiday elements separately, but only pricing up with dummy holidays will give you a better picture.

Or If you can save with a month in mind and wait to book last minute (up to six weeks before) often the offers save you hundreds, but you'll need patience and nerves of steel from the temptation of just having to book something !!! just so you know you are going .. lol

Hope some of this helps, just keep on with the questions, you will get too a point of Orlando overload in no time. Its such fun.... :o)

UK
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Thomson have the new 787 planes next year from May from Manchester, east midlands, glasgow and London Gatwick so keep that in mind when choosing flights with decent legroom as its meant to be 34 in economy. I wluld include everything you can possibily fit in by getting the disney ticket that includes all the theme parks, water parks, espn wide world of sports and disney quest at downtown disney. Go to both Universal parks and of course Sea World. Discovery Cove is a great place to go and the ticket includes entry to sea world. There is plenty of other things to do that could be considred including a trip to the beach either daytona and cocoa on the atlantic side or one of the many lovely beaches gulf side. I recommend factoring in Rest days by the pool and shopping as a break from the parks.

midlands
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

it's quite possible to do that under £6000.

We spent 5.5k, on a 2 week holiday over Easter, for a family of 4.

Flights were the worst for us, if you can go off season it's save loads. I think May would be a great time, not too hot weather and not so much rain. We have just returned, my dd is 7, if you read my trip reports it'll give you loads of ideas.

Our villa / town house was £800 for 2 weeks, so going for 3 weeks not two wouldn't be much more. While I'm sure staying in Disney is magical, we need more space to spread out when away for a longer period of time.

Our park tickets came to £1500, if you get a 14 day disney and 14 day universal as we did, and stagger one of them starting a week later, you'll basically get three weeks of parks for exactly the same price we had two weeks for.

You'll have a fab time.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

Disney world is a must , at island of adventure and universal studios have height restricted . on rides we went last year ,.......this year he wants to go back to harry potter he loves it he is 7 now but was 6 last year when we went and got a wand . we loved all the show as well, ohhh and my son loved the talking fountain at islands of adventure, aswell

Edited: 23 April 2012, 22:44
7. Re: What attractions should I include in my trip, and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 20:40