We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying home

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
flying home

We will be flying home from Orlando on the 22nd May to Dublin Ireland. We received our tickets just today and we have found out that we my 2 kids age 7 and 11and husband are not sitting beside each other on the way home we are seated in rows 39,40,41,42, which at this time is not suitable for a 8 hour flight have your kids sit beside strangers. Travel agency won't help, and air lingus say they can do nothing help us here in Ireland that it is down to Orlando airport on the 22nd May if they can help us or not. At this moment in time I am upset and don't feel like travelling don't know who to contact to see if they can help. It is not that I booked this holiday last week I booked it back in Septmeber 2011.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying home

Don't worry from what i have seen people will always move to let kids sit with there parents.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying home

Seems weird , but probably not whats going to happen often when we check in at the airport in Orlando to go home they have always put us on better seats are there some way that You can go online and book Your seat Yourself ?

Thats what I always do

seatguru.com/airlines/Aer_Lingus/Aer_Lingus_…

Mutter

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying home

did you book your seats inbound and outbound or have they just allocated them to your flight ?

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying home

If all else fails, ask the flight attendants when you board. Most people will gladly exchange seats rather than have a couple of screaming kids next to them. I have exchanged seats with a family before for the exact same reason, and everyone was happy.

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying home

Hi Ally, don't stress too much over this. Can you look online using your flight number and see what seating is already pre-booked, that will give you an indication of what seats at this time are available.

If there is a possibility of pre-booking maybe look at that or turn up at the very earliest opportunity and you will have a better chance of availability. We did this when we arrived in Miami last year after a cruise, we turned up about an hour before check in and were allowed to just 'check in' earlier instead of hanging around, we hadn't pre-booked and four of us had 2 sets of window seats, lovely . I am sure your family will be fine, and the book in clerks will help.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
460 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying home

Ally, you should have got to chose your seats when you booked your flights, perhaps you didn't book direct with Aer Lingus? Those numbers are the back 4 rows of this plane and have a 2-3-2 configuration (all the others are 2-4-2). I have just checked the seat map for that flight; very few seats left available but it is showing 1 seat in row 41, maybe if you ask if you could have those 2 seats together? There are a few together in row 9?! There are only a few others scattered around on there own.

As others have said perhaps people would move for you if they are not travelling with family but I would get back on to AL if you book direct yourself or your TA if this is how you booked. I would do it soon as not many seats left.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying home

I once did online check in with Virgin and must have completely mucked it up, because i was allocated 4 separate seats around the plane, and my children were a similar age to yours at the time.

I was panicking, but when we got to check in the next day, the seats had already been rearranged so that our family was sitting together. The check in lady told me that the company had to try to ensure families were seated together due to airline regulations. I'm sure that must still apply.

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: flying home

Would love 9 hours of peace and quiet. Unfortunately I think whoever got sat next to my lad would be requesting a seat swap after about ten minutes!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying home

Mmmm I've just found the Civil Aviation regulations

"Families, children and infants

The seating of children close by their parents or guardians should be the aim of airline seat allocation procedures for family groups and large parties of children.

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.

Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults."

As you can see they should ideally be seated in the same row and should be readily supervised, and Virgin stuck to that with us. But they can be put in the next row if it's not possible to seat you together. I do think that it is unacceptable to all be in separate rows and if I were you I would try to get to the airport early to try and change seats.

Level Contributor
1,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying home

Virgin told me that CAA regulations state that parties, in particular families have to be seated together and they only release 40% of seats to pre-book so that they can allocate seats together at check in. Not sure where aer lingus stands on this but perhaps this is why they advised that check in agent may be able to help more? It was too late for us to reserve seats online so that was why I checked with them - try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know!) they will not have you all seated separately