We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you keep it secret???

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Can you keep it secret???

Every year I have wanted to do one of those surprise "We are leaving for ORLANDO right NOW!" type of surprises for my kids, the kind where you are all packed and just toss the suitcases in the car while the kids are trying to process what is happening. However I am always so excited that I can never get past planning the dates of the trip before I have blurted it out to everybody I know, and the kids are always first to know (sometimes before hubby!).

Can you keep it secret, and if so, how to you keep all that excitement in?

brighton, england
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you keep it secret???

I know what you mean but Im soooo exited myself I can't keep it quiet either. A family I know did and didn't tell their 8 year old son till they got to the airport.

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you keep it secret???

I had to tell my son and his gf we were taking them to Orlando as they had to book holidays from work. However, my son has just got a fantastic new job and we decided to book Discovery Cove for them as a treat. We really didn't want to tell them and were just going to surprise them on the day. I made the mistake of telling one of my cousins whi promptly went on facebook and said how lucky they were to be going to Discovery Cove. Hmm, so much for trying to keep a secret. As I always say, telegram, telegraph, tell a woman!

I would still like something to surprise them with, so if you have any suggestions (and can keep a secret) I've got my Mickey ears on!

Regards,

Deaconblue

Mentioned in this post
Discovery Cove
Discovery Cove
15,381 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you keep it secret???

We kept it a secret one year when we went to DLP they where very surprice and enjoyed the holiday a lot , but after that we have told them they like to count down the days and talk about before we get there what they want out of the holiday , which rides , which hotel etc where to eat and my oldest daughter made my do some changing this year for the dinings because she suddenly told me that she prefered the ohana in the evening contra the ohana breakfast so she is getting older and has other preferences for what she like aswell

Mutter

Mentioned in this post
Ohana
Ohana
4,497 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you keep it secret???

I've kept it a secret since August - we aren't going until June and my 5 year old daughter doesn't have a clue. She knows we're going on holiday, but

thinks we are going to Tenerife. Still not decided how to tell her, but can't wait to see her wee face.

It's soooo hard tho - especially as she mentions every week that she'd like to go to Disneyworld!

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you keep it secret???

NP the first time week took our grandchildren we told them we were going to watch the planes land and take off at Gatwick on arrival we parked up and had lunch we then told them the car was having problems so we were staying the night untill it was fixed.

even with doing the twilight check in and going through security in the morning they never cottoned on.

We told them that a friend of grandads was going to let them sit on the plane so we had to be searched before hand.

You should have seen their faces when the plane started to move ,and the great Virgin FA who kept the story going by telling them we would have to stay on the plane untill it landed.

The last part was telling them we had to stay overnight in Florida to catch a plane back the next day .

When we told them the following morning it was whoop whoop wheeee and we had a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you keep it secret???

Ah, Nemmis, that was brilliant :) We are heading on our first visit in June so I just couldn't keep it from my 14 yo DD, I was too excited but we have added on an extra 4 days and she knows nothing about them. We will tell her on the morning we are due to leave. Can't wait to see her face.

A x

Port Talbot, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you keep it secret???

We have kept it a secret for a whole year! We fly out may 11th. It is the second time that we have surprised our DS(9) and DD (5). We were not sure that it would be as special this time around, but they loved the surprise so much the first time they made us promise if we went to Orlando again please could we surprise them- and we have!. The first time they sort knew they were going on hols as it was around xmas time and we had to tell them due to school xmas carol services they would be missing., so we told them that we would be going to Spain but we did not know which day etc and just picked them up from school early one day and i had a special card made with the disney gang on which read that they were going to Florida that day!. It was amazing they were so surprised it was well worth keeping it a secret even though i felt like (and still feel) like was going to explode!. This year however they have no idea what so ever that they are even going on hols had to have secret chats with the teachers etc!. I am hoping to keep it a secret as long as possible this time preferably before we board and i would like them just to hear the announcement when you are boarding not sure we can keep it secret this long as we are staying overnight at Gatwick, security etc but we are going to have really good try!. Prob tell them when we get to the airport that we are going to Spain or something. Can not wait two weeks to go! cant wait to relive the magic again! it is a hard but very worthwhile secret to keep!.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you keep it secret???

We have just booked to go next March, taking our 10, 9 and 8 year olds. It'll be my first time too and it's a daily struggle not to blurt it outas i'm sooooo excited but we are going to tell them at Christmas - a bit of time to look forward to it but don't think we could stand a year of it!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
928 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you keep it secret???

gosh i done that years ago with my son and daughter they are now 20 and 21 just got to airport told them we , was there to watch airplanes and have dinner there , then went in to the boot of car and got suitcases out they where 11 and 12 at the time , it was the best moment of my life the look on there face :) but my son 20 said but we don't have passport ? yes you do son , do you rember when i took you to photo booth and said if you can keep a straight face i will give you £5 hahahahaha sooooo loved that moment i have it on video some where , and i have a little secret my self can not wait to tell you all sod it am going to tell you .........LOL Am going to be a Nanny :) :)

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you keep it secret???

This is a post I did last year, it may give you some ideas of how to surprise them. :-)))

tripadvisor.co.uk/…36214339

Congratulations HSM you'll have to change your name to hotsexynanny :-)