We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Here's our views of the different restaurants we visited, I'm going to do proper reviews but thought a comparison may be useful?  It has scores on the doors from me, dh and dd's to show the difference of opinions.  Not sure whether this is appropriate posting material - apologies if not :)

Dont know whether here is a good place to mention that since I booked the holiday (about 12 weeks ago) I've been on the strictest diet ever and only started introducing solid food again the week before we left (been living on powdered soups and shakes + 4 litres of water a day) - so my yearning for food was massive and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed (can't tell you how long I spent reviewing (and drooling) over all the menus during my diet to choose all my fave dishes :)

Donalds Safari Breakfast - me 8, dh 8, dd's 8. Good all round food, service and character interaction. 

Boma: Me - 7, dh - 6, dd's - 9 (I was surprised they rated it so high). Both me and dh thought it was quite bland but a good quality buffet none the less. I think our expectations were too high.

Biergarten:  Me 10, dh 9, dd's 10,10,7, MIL 10. By far all of our favourite dining experience for the all round food, entertainment, fun and service. 

Sci-fi Dine In: Me 6, dh 6, dd's 9 with a caveat that they didn't like the food that much tho??? This was the one restaurant that they all nattered to go back to but it was only because they liked the car and movie experience. We got burgers and they were good but at a premium because of the experience. 

Hard Rock Cafe: Me 8, dh 8, dd's 8. HRH is always consistent - great service and top burgers, sandwiches and fajitas.  Never had a bad meal anywhere in the world. 

Planet Hollywood: - me 8, dh 8, dd's 8.  we would have missed this as the last couple of times (Mexico last year) the food has been expensive and just about inedible. But we had a free meal voucher so in true Yorkshire spirit - we didn't want to miss out...  Thank heavens we didn't - had a top meal (love the lasagne twist and the burgers were on parr with hard rock!

Hollywood and Vine: (Fantasmic package). Me 7, dh 8, dd's 9. Good selection of food, efficient service great to only have to get to show half an hour before start. We were happy and thought it was worth it. 

O'Hana: Me 9, dh 4 (and apparently only that high because he liked the restaurant theme), dd's 9 & 8 (based on chicken nuggets for two!)  I really enjoyed it but it was too sweet and sticky for DH. He was well excited when we first got there too - as soon as he saw the skewers he thought it was going to be similar to a Brazillian which he loves!  The service also was a let down. Our server was the friendliest, loveliest person going, but she wasn't a great server - we had to ask two or three times for refills and at one point it took her over twenty minutes to come back with drinks. Also she asked which meat we'd like more of and we asked for chicken and steak - it took another 20 mins for her to come back and by then our food had settled and we were no longer hungry. She knew we wanted to be out for the fireworks because we explained this at 9pm when we asked for the bill early (before we'd finished). She brought the bill and dessert at 9.52 (yes I timed it) and only because we'd got up to leave. And then again there was no sign of her for us to sign the bill, so we left poor dh there until she came back. He  missed half the fireworks but we thought they were fab (but we missed dessert!) :) This was the only occasion where I thought the server didn't deserve the tip but 18% was added automatically and she was so nice and friendly we just let it ride :)

Mythos. Me 8, dh 8, dd's 8. Lovely service (best all holiday), lovely food and just a really pleasant environment. Also very reasonable. 

UNO (Lake Buena Vista). Me 7, dh 8, dd 7. Great menu with lots of different stuff on there (pizza skins = mashed potato pie) and very reasonable. 

Golden Corral - me 5, dh 7, dds 9).  the kids wanted to try a buffet, we went for a breakfast but I didn't realise how huge it was so they only got a little time (had to make rope drop lol..) but I had to promise to take them back so we returned for dinner. It was ok - cheap and cheerful. Bear in mind tho that the kids would probably give kfc & MacD's a 9....

Chrystal Palace - me 7, dh 7, dd's 7. Everything was ok - characters seemed a bit rushed. Even tho it was 11.45 we were charged the dinner price of 39.99 instead of the lunch price of 24.99 and on 4 adults plus 18% gratuity, etc it made a big difference to the bill. We thought we may have read the sign outside wrong so dh went to double check and then we queried it.   The server saw the mistake and got it amended. Not sure we got an apology but we did get a much cheaper bill (although when there's 6 of you, there's no such thing as a cheap bill :)). It does make you wonder tho if people check, we only noticed because it was soooo much higher than we were expecting. 

Wishes Dessert Party - me 6, dh 7, dd's 5. I must have the only kids in the world that don't like desserts. One of them at least likes ice-cream tho. Also - me getting a dole whip to walk up with wasn't the smartest idea but it was our last night and therefore my last opportunity to get one. I don't think I'd do this again - if main street is too busy I'd prefer to watch from the beach at Poly (thanks for that tip Partypa) or somewhere else in MK with a dole whip (did I mention that I like them???)

Trex - me 4, dh 5, dd's 6. Food was just ok - premium prices for the experience. Sic-fi was much better. 

And I think that's it for table service. One additional note - I was really happy that the 18% gratuity was added on. It saved us debating (arguing) what the server deserved and then working it out. It was much easier this way and you're going to leave it anyway so just get over it at the beginning of your holiday and don't give it anymore thought ;)

Also on reflection, I think the food at Boma was at least on parr with the other buffets but our expectations were much higher (does that make sense?).

Things I tried for the first time :) 

a chilli cheese dog - yummy

Biscuits and Gravy - yuk (stick to choc chip lol)

Grits - uhhhhh

Funnel cake - mmmmm

Dole Whip - double gazillion yummy

Mac n cheese - ok

Jerky - think it's just a leather strip...  Reminded me too much of the dog treats

Chocolate frozen banana - mmmm

Grand Marnier Slushy - scrummy

Frozen lemonade - mmmmm

Brisket - nice

An American Dream slushy - very sickly

Didn't get the chance to try peanut butter and jelly - the thought of it made the kids gag :)

I have probably put the weight back on with all the gorgeousness I've consumed but I've also worn my feet out with all the walking - and every mouthful was worth it :) I lost 3 stone 5 pound and still got another couple of stone to go but it was lovely not to be paranoid whether I was going to be one of those people who 'due to their body dimensions may not be able to ride' and have to sit in the fat seat to make sure. To be fair - I've always been ok on the rides but there's also been a 'what if?' niggle always lurking in the background :). 

I'm not getting on the scales till Monday.  It's not looking good tho when my dd exclaimed 'I'm so happy that your big tummy is coming back so quickly, it's so much more cuddly!'..... oops :)

Back to dust and water from Monday :((

Mentioned in this post
Biergarten Restaurant
Biergarten Restaurant
2,295 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hard Rock Cafe
Hard Rock Cafe
8,805 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Planet Hollywood
Planet Hollywood
4,446 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood & Vine
2,257 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
14,382 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Mythos Restaurant at Universal's Islands of Adventure
Mythos Restaurant at...
2,528 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Buena Vista Suites
Buena Vista Suites
1,162 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Golden Corral
Golden Corral
2,246 Reviews
Orlando, FL
UK
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Fabulous reviews and just wanted to say I really enjoyed your trip reports too. We go in six weeks and I joined a weight loss group at the beginning of March ... 11lbs down so far but time to do the same again before we leave ... only to probably put it all back on when we get there. I'm already planning in my head all the yummy things I'm going to consume.

Gx (also a lover of the Dole Whip)

:)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Great reviews! Shocked at your husband and Ohana.

Been thinking about TRex for my son but the rest of us didnt care for Rainforest. Think we will skip it.

Mentioned in this post
Ohana
Ohana
4,537 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

nice

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

MacsFive - the food is the same as the Rainforest, and tbh there's enough in the parks to satisfy even the most ardent dinosaur fan. Personally, I didn't think it was worth it.

pa
Level Contributor
54,829 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

How many of you all together ? Concerned you paid an 18% tip at some places when you didn't have to ( thinking 'Ohanas without good service :( )

Fireworks View from the Poly Beach, swell :)

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Great food reviews! It's good to have a family perpective on this subject. I have only got Boma booked so will just have to see what the family make of it. To be honest food is not a big part of my holiday and I don't care if I'm eating in Cici's Pizza or the Grand Floridian (not that I have ever eaten there mind you)! I admit to being a food heathen.

I loved all your TR's too. You, Trill and Mum of Two have kept me going these last few weeks.

Thanks for taking the time out to post here.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Mentioned in this post
CiCi's Pizza
CiCi's Pizza
1,689 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Grand Floridian...
4,651 Reviews
Orlando, FL
England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

No - there were usually 6 of us. Only a couple of times, O'hana for eg, my mother declined as there was nothing on the menu that resembled cardboard and fries :) Sometimes she would come in with us and just not eat (if it wasn't a buffet) so I was quite happy for the 18% (made it much easier for us).

Thanks for the Poly fireworks tip - fab!

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

I don´t like Rainforest , but I do like T-rex , but then again I love Boma and Ohana aswell :-) the taste is different form each one of us , but its good to hear what others think

Mutter

Mentioned in this post
T-Rex Cafe
T-Rex Cafe
10,904 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Ohana
Ohana
4,537 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Must say I have loved your TRs and you have made our minds up over some of the Disney restaurants that we were hovering over.

Glad you have had a fab time but the next part of the cycle is being down then the looking then the booking. Thanks for sharing your holiday,

Edited: 27 April 2012, 21:29
England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food! Table Service Reviews and Comparisons

Mutter - you're right, we're all very different. Even just within our family we couldn't agree on most!

Deacon blue - I think I might have been a tad hard on Boma. I had very high expectations and we went on our first day when i didnt have anything to compare it with.

Thanks for your kind comments about the tr.'s - was worried i might bore you as I do have a tendency to ramble a bit....