We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Test of New Fast Pass System

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Test of New Fast Pass System

From today's WDWMagic.com:

"Next generation FASTPASS system to begin guest testing this week

Disney is set to begin guest testing of portions of the next generation FASTPASS system this week. From May 1 to May 15, random guests will be selected prior to their arrival at the Magic Kingdom to take part. The system is expected to work like this:

1. Guests in the trial will choose a FASTPASS itinerary for the entire day before they arrive at the park.

2. The FASTPASS itinerary will be emailed to the guest and encoded onto a RFID FASTPASS card which will then be used to gain FASTPASS access to the attractions chosen.

The significant point here is that this system is allowing the guest to book their entire day FASTPASS itinerary BEFORE arrival at the park, and therefore eliminates the current system of only holding one FASTPASS at a time, and having to wait for windows to become available. It is expected that this system will eventually become part of guests vacation planning when staying at a Walt Disney World Resort, and will be rolled out to all parks and most attractions. Also gone with this test are the paper tickets, and are replaced with next generation RFID chips on a single ID card, much like those used in the EPCOT turnstile trial a few months ago. Disney is investing heavily in RFID technology, and expect to use it in almost all areas of the guest experience, from FASTPASS, to park entry to room entry and charging."

Magic Kingdom Park
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Water Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

This will be very interesting so some sort of the deal with staying at the Universal then ;-)

That would be great I think for all the ride´rs lol I am more like doing a couple of really wanted things and the other I just go for if I feel for it :-)

Mutter

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

It goes without saying that if this test goes through without a hitch, there will soon be another reason to stay on-site vs. off-site, as WDW on-site guests will get home field advantage that is somewhat akin (as noted by Mutter in post 1) to what Universal on-site guests have been getting for years.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 17:43
NJ
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

I would love that! It would make for a more relaxed trip, knowing we will get on everything we love without having to plan like crazy.

dublin
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Wow next they will be stopping regular visitors getting fast passes at all. If there are only so many fass passes a day for a ride and they get booked up by guests then would non-site guests not be able to get any?

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

That sounds great for people that love to plan their whole day and know every ride in each park and have the time to sit and decide what rides to go on in what order, what about people that want to have an eliment of surprise in the day and discover things while walking around. I think over planning takes the magic out of it a little bit and any surprises !

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Well it work at Universal where they sell the express fastpass and thats why a family of four find it cheaper to rent a hotelroom to stay onsite get in the park earlier and get fastpass acess so why not at Disney they can sell them too , just another way to make things easier I think, improvments is the thing about this and there is no one stopping You for not taking in it if You don´t want to .

Think I will get one for Dumbo then seems to me thats the one we have only road once when we have been there

Mutter

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Do u mean if u buy a fastpass at universal u have to plan them all out in advance? Not go through the day and decide as u go? Also universal charge extra they ate included at Disney, they won't start charging extra will they???

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Its just a test time first lets see what Disney finds out after all Universal has 3 hotels that uses this fastpass ´s Disney is huge with lots of resorts

Mutter

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Wtih respect to post 7, Universal has head of the line privileges if you stay there. You don't have to plan your order of rides in advance; instead, you just show up and get put at the head of the line. Only did that on one visit, but it was great. I think WDW would have trouble doing that because it has a couple dozen hotels, compared to three at Universal, so they couldn't handle all the guests showing up at once at some of the more popular rides.

England
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Test of New Fast Pass System

Just to play devils advocate....

I think the Disney Fastpass System is currently much better than Universal. The fast passes distribute the queues and crowds better in Disney where the front of line passes in Universal can really affect the standby time and just smacks of trying to make extra. Money. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel purely for this reason and I sometimes felt guilty by-passing the standby line, especially more than once when you pass the same families - it seems very much like a class system and those with more money can take the place of those other people waiting in line.

I am a serial planner but even I would find booking rides so far in advance slightly limiting. I really hope that the Disney process will work better than the money grabbing principal of Universal.

Having said that, I would recommend staying on site for these benefits and would do it again but it doesn't make it a better system.

Just my opinion :)