We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Luggage Allowance.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Combining Luggage Allowance.

Hi all

Probably a dumb question but here goes....

Due to go to Orlando for first time in just under 4 weeks (mega excited!!). I am travelling with the DW, DS and DD with Monarch from Manchester. I know we get 20k luggage allowance each but don't want to take 4 cases as will easy get everything in 3.

Am I ok to pack more than 20k in each of the 3 as long as the combined total does not exceed 80k ?

Also got a car hired with Alamo so want to make sure everything fits in when we get there (upgraded to a full size) which is another reason I don't want to take 4.

Thanks all

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
476 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
130 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

From their website

■Can I share a baggage allowance with a partner or travelling companion?

You may pool your baggage allowance with a partner/travelling companion (provided both passengers have paid the relevant bag fee). See examples:

2 passengers travelling, paid 1 bag fee = 1 bag only up to 20kg

2 passengers travelling, paid 2 bag fees = 2 bags up to 40kg in total, providing no one bag weighs more than 32kg.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

each idividual bag can not be over weight.

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

Hi what we do is take 4 cases one of which lies flat inside a case on way out so on way home we have 4 cases packed to the allowance allowed. You shouldn't be packing to the Max on the way out .... were are you going to put all the bargains you buy from the Malls / Outlets ??? If you have a soft holdall it can always be placed on the rear seat or in foot well on the passenger side for the return drive to airport.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

Here's the link

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

Friends of ours whom recently travelled had a combined weight of 80k between the 4 of them and 2 bags were over the 20 but all 4 together within the 80 but were still made to make the 2 overweight cases come to 20k.

Its better to be safe than sorry save embarrasment of having to rejig your bags or get stuck with overweight baggage fees!!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

Thanks for all the advice guys. If needs be I am happy to take 4 cases all being under the 20kg (and leaving space for the goodies!!) but will I get 4 in a full size car? I will also have at least 2 hand luggage as well ?

Spennymoor, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

I think it definitely depends on your airline. We are travelling with Virgin in August and were hoping to take 3 suitcases between 4 of us, as we normally do with Thomas Cook etc. However, I discovered that Virgin only allow 23kg per suitcase, so we now have to take 4!

wigan
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

We got 4 cases in our VW Golf plus 3 hand luggage and there was 2 adults plus 2 children.

In America we have an 8 seater minivan and there will be 2 adults and 2 children and need to get 6 cases plus a hand luggage in each!! But we have been told it should do it...best do lol

hamilton, scotland
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

Hiya we r also flying monarch economy.. Luggage allowance 20kg but this includes your hand luggage allowance... So really it's only 15kg... Just thought would let u know this x

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Combining Luggage Allowance.

I long since ditched the suitcases in favor of holdalls, they weigh much less and you have more chance of fitting them in the hire car, I always find American cars have less boot space then UK cars.