We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Hi everyone,

Just wondering for your expert opinions about Animal Kingdom Lodge. Being that we live in Oz and are very likely to only ever get to WDW once.....would it be worth splurging and staying at thje AKL?

Kids will be about 13 (son) & 10 (daughter) when we do get there so they won't need the BIG in your face Disney feel but we would definitely like some Disney feel considering it's Disney we are staying at!!!!! But is it really worth the price?

We stayed at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago & they loved seeing the elk outside our rooms & when walking around the park and we all loved the San Diego Wild Animal Park where we watched the animals roam around......so I have no doubt that we would love the place......it's just a bit dearer than we were going to spend.

Big call you know, where to stay at WDW, I really want to get it so right!!!!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

All depends on the price you have been quoted, a couple of years ago I spent over 5 thousond pounds english, that included car rental, personal insurance, all theme park tickets and flights.

To me that was not worth it once I was there the room layout was identical to the Quality inn and that was half the price for the same deal.

It is very nice in the lobby area and the restaurants are ok but pricey too, you cant guarentee a room with a view of the animals but there are lookout areas dotted around the corridors where you can view them from, the pool area is fantastic.

EDIT: forgot to mention our akl holiday was for 2 people

But at the end of the day disney is disney it is very very expensive but if you can afford it go for it, as it is once in a lifetime

but on the other hand the 1-2 g's saved (maybe more as there are 4 of you) can be spent on clothes, and all the different restaurants on offer if you stay off site.

Edited: 19 May 2012, 06:49
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

I am also from Australia and have stayed at AKL with my sister who was 12 at the time. On the same visit (and subsequent visits) I also stayed at Pop Century. IMO I would never pay the extra money again to stay at a deluxe hotel at WDW. I have also stayed at Wilderness Lodge which I liked better than AKL. The reason being that i'd rather spend the money on other things like merchandise and nicer food than my room.

It depends however if you can afford it. You ask if it is worth the money and yes it is worth the money. AKL is a wonderful resort, the lobby itself is AMAZING. The only way you will see animals from your room is if you get a Savannah room, and even then there is no guarantee. If you get a standard room you can view the animals from many locations around the resort.

If you are going on a budget choose a value or moderate resort, they have the same great Disney feel and for a fraction of the price of the deluxes. You still get treated the same by Disney cast members and you will have more money for nicer dinners, merchandise and photos etc

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

For me, absolutely. I have loved our couple of stays at AKL. Seeing the animals wandering by your balcony is fabulous, but as previous posters have said it really does depend on your budget. If staying at the AKL leaves you short for other things then maybe it wouldn't be worth it, but if it's within your budget and you're happy with the price then go for it.

pa
Level Contributor
54,002 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

The AKL is an amazing Resort, very unique. Staying there can be a Holiday all by itself

www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871510

When do you plan to travel ? Exact dates ? There are discounts several times a year that may help make the choice a bit easier :)

5. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 18:05
Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Its always been a dream for me to get to stay at AKL and I am doing it this year juhuu , and I am sure it will be worth it , but I have rented point to stay in a disney vaction villa , to save some money it might be a good alternative for You aswell look at Davids disney vaction club rentals and see what You find out

I have stayed at Port Orleans and French Quarter before and loved the moderates there too

Mutter

Leeds
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Ian8000 - no need for that.

Partypa only gave some information. She never said it was value for money, just that it was amazing and unique, which it obviously is. She is one of the lost knowledgeable posters on here and has to deal with awful people like you posting replies like that.

In answer to the OP, what about doing a split stay-so you experience AKL for a few nights, then go to a cheaper or offsite hotel for the remainder of your stay?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I like to get other people's opinions, as I feel that it's good to learn from people who have been there & done that :)

I too love partypa's knowledgeable responses & will always take them seriously!!!! But I respect your comments too Ian. Mutter you will have to be sure to let us know how your stay at AKL goes this year :)

Andy, I thought of maybe a split stay. It's a good idea & we are considering being there for about 17-18 nights so it would make sense to experience a couple of resorts while we are there.

USLovers you offer some very sensible feedback there too. I definitely wouldn't be happy to have to scimp on other things....say nice meals or spending money just to be able to stay somewhere......where we wouldn't even be in the room that much anyway!!!!

Partypa....we would be thinking of September/October....unfortunatley we can't do this Sept so am hoping for next!!!! I too am a Disney LOVER and I wouldn't consider for even a second of coming all the way from Australia & staying off-site. This is once in a lifetime for us, so we are doing it the "Disney" way!!!!!

I must again say thank you for the replies....I absolutely love this forum!!!! I think my husband wishes he could have a dollar for every time I say that as it would probably near pay for our WDW trip LOL, but the info shared & learnt on here is invaluable!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

AJ

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
50 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

Hi I have been to Australia and loved it too... but we are satying the Animal Kingdom Lodge too... But if I might tell you that I have stayed at the Bay View towers and it is very nice for an extended stay ! It has a kitchen which is very nice for early coffee and leftovers . We had a 1 bedroom two bath and a pull out couch in the living area.. Very confortable and VERY close to the monirail as it is hooked to the Contempory. I have also stayed at the Ployisian the Grand Flordian and they are both very nice. The Wilderness lodge is great as it is right across form the front entrance of the Magic Kingdom and has a great place to eat the Whispering Cayon. This time we will only be doing Disney for three days and Discovery Cove, Lego Land and Sea World. as a change.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Animal Kingdom Lodge worth the price???

We like the AKL very much. It has a great pool,very nice staff,the best dining options of the Disney hotels,unique theme and of course,the animals wandering around.It is very expensive and certainly not worth cutting back on anything else during your vacation. We stay at Disney when we are traveling with small children or elderly relatives just for the convenience but we usually stay offsite-Disney hotels are a very poor value for the money . We like having a kitchen and room to spread out in and prefer a suite resort like the Residence Inn LBV,Staybridge Suites LBV or the Springhill Suites in the Marriott Village. For convenience,the DTD hotels are terrific and have a pretty good shuttle system.Its totally a personal choice whether the AKL is worth it. In general, I would say no it isn't.But if you are going to stay at a Disney resort anyway,then you may as well go deluxe-and the AKL is far better than the Poly or the Contemporary in our experience-best of all is the GF but that's REALLY expensive. Check your budget,evaluate what's important to you and decide what works for you