We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheat intolarence

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
wheat intolarence

I have a wheat allergy and was wondering what it is like getting wheat free foods when I visit florida and walt disney world

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheat intolarence

I think there is a chance of getting wheat free stuff in the big supermarkets. They have everything else. What you don't seem to get is anything sugar free or cinnamon free.

They also have cherry flavoured things like coca cola - whats that all about?

American Beer is definitely taste free. On TED airlines they also give you stuff with your drink that they must have scaped off the bottom of the Parrot cage and put in a vacuum free packet - smell and taste outrageous. Wheat free is the least of your worries.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: wheat intolarence

I have a friend with a wheat gluten allergy. She has a laminated card for the server to take to the head chef listing all wheat sources she reacts to from fould to whole grains. This way, the chef can easily advise what on the menu - especially suaces and salad dressings - might contain less obvious sources of wheat gluten. It's a good idea and a big help to the restaurant kitchens, it makes life easier for all and you're far more likely to get good assistance. You may want to work with you doctor to be sure you list all ingredients that have some form of wheat that you react too, including condiments used in flavoring sauces.

Obviously, this only works at good restaurants, not everywhere. While on Disney property, you should be able to write to Disney and request a list of the foods sold at various venues that contain wheat so you can avoid those foods. You can always stick with meat, fish, fruit, salad and veggies and ask for vinegar and oil for dressing if unsure. Dull maybe, but safe

Just incase you have a SEROIUS reaction to something, always carry the proper emergency medication that your doctor prescribes and wear a Medic Alert or other ID incase of treatment. I have some sever allergies and some medical conditions and have a list written up that I've used more than once.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheat intolarence

According to allearsnet.com:

"When you decide on restaurants and want to make your Advance Dining Reservations, call (407) 939-3463 (WDW-DINE). Inform the reservations staff that you have allergies as you book your requests. They will provide you with the direct number for the restaurants you have chosen. Twenty-four hours before your scheduled dining time, call to speak to the chef. If they feel comfortable that they can meet your needs with what they have on hand, they will tell you to speak to the chef on duty when you arrive. Yet the twenty-four hours notice will give them time to prepare if they need it. Remind your server of your needs as you are seated.

If you are planning to eat mostly fast foods, then you will need to check ingredients with a manager. You can reach one through the above number or through your hotel staff. Fast food is possible for food allergic guests, but sit-down restaurants are the most secure. Disney also offers some lodging options that include a kitchen if you feel more comfortable preparing your own foods."

England
Level Contributor
640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheat intolarence

Vegas. I liked the line.

What you don't seem to get is anything sugar free or cinnamon free.

How true.

That put a smile on the face

Vinny

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
34 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wheat intolarence

Try this site for Gluten-free diet info.

http://www.squidoo.com/G-FreeFromceliac

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wheat intolarence

this link has lot's of info. for Disney World and gluten free. All major grocery stores here have a gluten free section of foods. Also a sugar free section if needed.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheat intolarence

sorry forgot the link

here you go http://www.allearsnet.com/din/guestceliac.htm

8. Re: wheat intolarence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 23:16