We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US airways

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
381 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
US airways

We are travelling from Manchester England next week to Orlando via Philadelphia with US airways but it will be United Airlines taking us on to Orlando. Has anyone done this route? Will we have to claim baggage at Philly and go through customs again? We have never had a change over in the USA before.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US airways

carol, I do this many times, however i'm from Canada, this past August I was going to Daytona Beach but I always stop at Orlando and get relatives to drive me, but let's get to the point, I left from Ottawa on Air Canada and checked my bags, I then flew to Toronto, I did have to claim my baggage and then from Toronto I changed Air Lines which was United I went on to Chicago. In Chicago my luggage was put on through to Orlando so I did not have to go through customs and then from Chicago I took United again then I got to Orlando. It's not complicated at all, I'm sure you won't have to go through customs again because your taking a direct flight straight to the U.S.A your baggage will probably be put on through to Orlando.

However when you get there I'd ask around to see if your baggage is going to be put on through, Hope I could help.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US airways

hi carol just to let you know you will have to clear customs on your first point of entry so in this case Philly, when you arive in Orlando you will not have to clear customs just collect you luggage and go as you will be arriving on an internal flight!

Im afraid i cant remember if you collect your luggage or not but if you ask when you check in at london they will tell you

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US airways

I've done this route a couple of times (although I stayed with US Airways for both flights)

Yes you will have to collect your luggage and clear immigration and customs at Philly, once you've cleared them there are check-in desks right as you leave customs so you can re-check your bags for the next flight which is good as it's a long walk to the next terminal. If you want food or drink use the food court in the middle of the main terminal building before going to the gate for your flight.

As your next flight is an internal one when you arrive at Orlando just collect your baggage and begin your holiday no more hassle.

Have a great time! I'm going again in November but flying direct this time.

Wales
Level Contributor
381 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US airways

Thanks to all three of you for your replies I feel better about the customs bit now, still worried about Philly airport though

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US airways

I am doing the same trip as you but going onto Tampa this time. You will collect your bags and put them thru for Orlando. The bar code will see they get thru to the right place. Other posters are right - that from Philly to MCO will be an internal so no more customs etc. My friends have told me that Philly is a bit old and basic but it really cannot be as bad as some and I intend to spend most of the time in one of the lounges - so that should help. You are paying a lot for the holiday so if it is a long wait why not soften the blow and pay for the lounge.