We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SouthWest England
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Flying to Orlando this Sunday 3rd, and it will be the first time I will be using plastic abroad. I usually only take cash & TC's. Just thought, do indeed to clear this with the bank before I fly ?

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

I always let my bank/credit card company know im going abroad if I plan on using my cards. Some banks don't require you to let them know, but I always do

Waterford,ireland
Level Contributor
283 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Yeah, I think you need to let them know to avoid any hassle while over in the states

We have never had any bother once we let them know - most banks have increased checks and block transactions if it doesn't look normal so just to be sure let them know

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Let them know. If they spot unusual activity on it, ie purchases from abroad, they may block it if they don't know you're going.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

It's always a good idea to advise credit card companies of foreign travel, including places and dates.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

we let them know plus if you take it you can put deposits on it instead of using your holiday money

like car hire

safe

hotel etc etc

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Hi

Yes uinblock it ...I work for a bank and you must let them know otherwise they could put a stop on it ...the foreign office recomment taking credit cards abroad ...in a lot of places you would not be seen in an emergency room until you show your creditcard even if you have travel insurance you pay up front and claim later

Annie

SouthWest England
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Many thanks for the reply guys, even tho my original message should have read ' do I need to clear this with the bank' ! You got what I meant !

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Yes. I just did both my credit and debit card for my travel next week.

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

It is important to let both your bank and credit card company know that you will be traveling. Any "unusual" transactions can be flagged and get the cards completely shut down until you can verify that it was actually you doing it. I also work for a Financial institution and highly recommend it so that you don't have hiccups along the way and have to make expensive phone calls to try to remedy it.

Cumbria Uk
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I "unblock" my credit card before I fly ?

Absolutely....My card asks for at least a week notification. However, any notice is better than none. Get in touch with them asap.

I wouldn't dream of going on holiday without a credit card as back up if nothing else. On saying that, lots of people don't. It's just peace of mind for me.