We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Probably a dumb rental car question

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Probably a dumb rental car question

but if road assistance is not included, what do you do if you break down or need help? Does this just mean you have to pay for the service? Is there still someone you can call for help or is it up to you to find assistance? Thanks.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

It's my understanding that you are on your own if it your fault (locking the keys in the car, for example.) Major mechanical breakdown should be the agency's responsibility. This may help...

…usatoday.com/news/2010-11-02-businesstravel…

In the U.S., many people have AAA memberships which would cover an issue. My personal auto insurance covers the assistance in any car I am riding in. Perhaps check your policy to see if it covers foreign travel.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

post above is correct:

if you have a "car related" issue then you call the toll free nuber of the rental agency and they will tkae care of it - no cost to you.

If you lock your keys in the car then call a tow truck and they will open the doors for you but you will pay.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

Also, know that there are emergency call boxes in the more rural areas on some of the larger highways. This is in case you forget your cell phone. There are several going toward the beach on 528.

There is also a free service called the Road Ranger. If you get into trouble on some of the big highways, they may be able to help with minor things like contacting the rental company. I see them patrol all over the place.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

Thank you. What about something like a flat tyre? I notice that on one rental company website I was looking at they mentioned the cars don't carry a spare and if you get a flat you will need to be towed. Would this likely be true for all the company's? What would be the approx cost to have the car towed and whose responsibility would this be? We're trying to decide whether it's worth a more expensive quote we're looking at to get roadside assistance or whether we won't bother.

5. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 22:15
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

Thanks for that link, really helpful and gives approx. charges.

7. Re: Probably a dumb rental car question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:15