We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break pretty busy?

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spring Break pretty busy?

I had posted a question about going to DW in July. My girls, ages 6 & almost 11, have never been. We live in Colorado. We have ruled out July due to most comments on here being unfavorable this time of year. I am a high school teacher and we thought about toughing it out in July but have chickened out. We are considering October and missing a few days of school. Sounds like a great time of year and less crowded. But some friends of ours asked if we would consider waiting until Spring Break so that they can go with us. So, now I'm asking what the 2nd or 3rd week of March would be like at Disney World. I do want my kids to have an enjoyable experience and heavy crowds can often decrease that. Thanks so much for any and all comments!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Probably wouldn't be horrible, especially since Easter isn't till the end of March. Would be busy, but not Chtistmas busy.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Spring break can be one of the busiest theme park times. Guess a lot depends on what time other State/Counties have their spring break. I believe Easter is March 31, 2012.

DH used to teach school and we would go on his spreak break or Easter break. It was always packed with people. The lines for anything were long, very long, 2 hours long! It wasn't enjoyable for us so we stopped going then.

I'd much rather go in October. Weather is nice and crowds would be down.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 14:55
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

I would not go in July or spring break, way too busy. We have been the 1 week of May and were there in October great times to go. I've heard spring break is a nightmare.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Week before and week after Easter are when crowds are highest! Other weeks for Spring Break aren't awful, since Spring Breaks are spread out from February till after Easter. Just the two weeks around Easter are bad!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

We have been over Easter week and its pretty crazy. But, if you are a few weeks before, it shouldnt be too bad. So 2nd week of March but after that, I wouldnt if you are trying to avoid crowds.

Overall, October is MUCH better! We loved October in 2011 and intend to go back at that time every ytripnow.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,091 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Spring break isn't too bad. You are very lucky to be able to take time off from your teaching job in October to go to Disney. I know you are trying to find theperfect combination of great weather and low crowds when your kids are out of school but this is as very difficult combination. I agree July is just too hot.October would be great since you are able to take time off and better than spring break though-October is less crowded. We would not take our kids out of school for vacation .Have you given up going at the end of December?That seems like the best option;kids out of school,great decorations and crowds gone after New Years.

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

It looks like our Spring Break is the week of March 11 or the week of March 18, but I'm guessing it's the week of March 18. Easter is March 31, so we would be home before that week prior to Easter. I ran across a website link from a user here that shows crowd predictions for each week but it only goes through August unless I pay for a subsription. So, if we went this particular week (March 18) there would be a week in between our trip and the week leading up to Easter. Thoughts?

I haven't given totally up on December. We could go Dec 30-Jan 6, as we don't go back this year until January 7. I heard Christmas/New Year's is also very busy, ranked either 2nd or 3rd highest, and wonder if most kids go back Jan 2 or Jan 7 like us?

We get 2 personal days and 10 sick days and after the last 8 years of teaching, I maybe average having to take 2 sick days per year and rarely use the personal days or only use 1, so I didn't feel guilty taking a few extra this year, plus we don't go to school on Fridays anyway since we're a 4 day school week.

It's almost a conscious vs. what's most enjoyable time for the kids dilemma :-)

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Here's a free crowd calendar for March

http://www.easywdw.com/march2012-v8.jpg

You can find the other months here:

http://www.easywdw.com

Colorado
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

Thank you for those links, jsmla! I see they labeled two weeks prior to Easter an 8 or 9 for crowd level (10 being the highest) this past year... wonder what they will predict this year. If we did Spring Break, it will probably be week of March 18. Easter is March 31.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break pretty busy?

New Year's day is a tuesday, so hard to say when kids will go back. It will depend on the districts, but I can see people keeping their kids out the rest of that week

for vacation.

yourfirstvisit.net/2012/…

Here's some 2013 info :)

Edited: 08 June 2012, 18:24