We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

San Diego
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Topic
To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

In the planning stages of a trip and trying to determine if we should get the hopper option of not. There are two reasons I can think of to get the hopper. You start off the day at one park and it gets crowded, you can jump parks and go to another. You spend the day at one park, and want to end the night at epcot (open later when we'll be visiting). Anyone think of any other reasons to get the hopper? We will either be getting a 5-7 day ticket, so should have time to see each of the parks (plus it will be at a slow time of the year).

Thanks,

John

Sandy Eggo

NJ
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

Just the 2 of you? If it's a couples trip, I would hop. More flexibilty. When you get into a lot of people it becomes a pricey options.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

You can upgrade to add it on but you can't take it away...

When are you coming?

"5-7" days? Still deciding? (don't buy more than you need just because extra days are only a few dollars more)

with few exceptions Epcot closes nightly at 9.

MK is typically open the latest.

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

You may want to spend the day at one park and eat dinner in another. I also think the hopper would come in handy if your hotel is near Epcot and you can use the hopper to get into the park to use the monorail.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,031 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

We always hop, would never go without it. We use epcot a lot for dinner (especially if staying at the beach club). The last day we'll hop around to whatever we missed or want to redo :)

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

We can hop ( annual pass ) but rarely do, just too much to do in each Park for a full day. I would wait til you are there, you can add that option later if you want

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

we hop between epcot and mk sometimes, we go to epcot do the main rides then head over to mk using the monorail for a bit then return later.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

We have always bought tickets that enable us to Hop. However last time we bought Disney tickets we were going to buy the non hoper version. We decided to that we were going to take our time and enjoy each Park to the full. We had been visiting between 2 and 4 parks a day, and felt we were rushing around so much; we didn’t take time to enjoy each Park.

However we bought AP instead!!

I like the hopper option to be able to visit MK, when it is quite, and the go back on a busy day, in the evening, just to watch the electric parade & fireworks.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

I would suggest the hopper,if you're going on a "slow" season. It's very true about each park having tons to do for a whole day. However..I find it gives me the "feeling" of being free to explore the entire Disney area without restrictions. You may know what I mean,only when yo get there..it's just the best! If it doesn't put a strain on your travel budget,I say go for it!

One of my fav things to do,is to visit DHS early in the day,and take the boat from there to Epcot in the evening.(This is where I get the feeling that I "own the place" ha ha ha! ;+)) Mind you..I've been there many times,so I know my way around. A bit different,if you're a first timer. You'll be amazed at the size of each park.

Either way..you're going to have a great time!!

PS..Welcome to the forum! :0))

Edited: 09 June 2012, 14:50
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

One year we were there and we really wanted to see Fantasmic, but it kept getting rained out night after night. We finally managed to see it about the 4th attempt. But if we hadn't had the Park Hopper, and we had gone to Hollywood Studios on one of the days it was rained out, we would have missed it. With the park hopper we had the freedom to go back anytime we wanted. We never jump sporadically from park to park, but like to be able to move around for special things we want to do. It takes a lot of the pressure off of having to get everything done in one park on that one day.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
179 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To Hop or not to Hop, that is the question?

Hubby and I just got back and did a hopper, and I wouldn't do anything else! The smartest thing we did was go back to our hotel mid-afternoon to escape the heat and the biggest crowds in the park. Then, after a shower and a nap (seriously, the humidity takes it out of you), we'd say "OK, what park now?". We loved not being tied to one park. One day we did Epcot in the morning, nap/shower, then went back to Epcot to grab a beer and decent food and then went to MK for the parade and extra magic hours. It was perfect. We took the monorail/boat option to MK and it was so fun!