We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Hopping Extravaganza

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Park Hopping Extravaganza

No that isn't the title of some sweet promo or event that is all new and fancy...but it got your attention didn't it? :)

My wife and I laid out a tentative plan of attack for our upcoming vacation. On our final day we thought it would be fun to have each of the kids pick their favorite ride/attraction and we would jump around the various parks they choose rather than visit any one park for any length of time.

Is this even realistic or is it going to be a huge hassle with traffic and other logistical issues?

(We are staying during the first 12 days of December to, according to trends, it should be a fairly quiet time in the parks)

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
179 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

Disney World is HUGE. Depending on wait times for buses, you're talking the better part of an hour just to get from one side of the park (like Hollywood Studios) to Magic Kingdom. It's doable, but you're gonna be exhausted! We did two parks a day when we were there and it felt like a lot. That said, if you see the transportation as part of the fun, it could work. For instance, if you're at Epcot and want to go to Magic Kingdom you could do the monorail to a boat to the MK. That's fun to do.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

I think it would be a waste of time. It does take quite a long time to go from park to park and then you have to consider the lines at the rides they want to go on. If it's the more popular rides you could be waiting an hour or more.

Donna

Minnesota
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

Thank you both for the replies.

@panda...I know the kids would love the monorail and/boats. They (might) view the travel as part of the adventure.

@dbabe...Will lines for rides really be in the 1hr+ range in the forst part of December? According to much of what I've seen it trends to be one of the slowest times of year. If it is...so be it but I'm hoping it won't :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

I have to agree that you would really waste a lot of time going from park to park. Two parks in a day is easily doable - one in the morning, and one late afternoon or night, but more than that and you spend half your day getting from one park to another - and the amount of walking required to enter and exit each park, and get to your bus or car would be astonishing.

With 12 days in early December, you have plenty of time for a very nice, relaxing and fun trip. Don't ruin it your last day.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

I meant to add that I agree with a previous poster that you would have to count on spending more than an hour (probably more like an hour and a half) to get from a ride in one park to a ride in another. I'm a big fan of park-hopping (I like to take a break in the afternoon, and go to a different park at night), but doing more than 2 parks in a day would be really draining for everyone, and not much fun.

Shepherdstown, West...
Level Contributor
143 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

On our very first visit to The World in 1998, we spent the last day of our 5-day Park Hopper hitting highlights at all four parks - and it was the day after Thanksgiving! The transportation was part of the adventure - we used the monorail, boats and the buses. I say go for it!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,386 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

Some of the most popular rides will still have hour long waits. Toy Story Mania has a wait all year long as does Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin' and Expedition Everest.

I love going the first two weeks of December but over the last few years the crowd levels have begun to increase. You might just want to play it by ear to see what you can fit in in a day. We were just there in December (7-14) and didn't get a chance to go on TSM at all because the lines were so long and all the fast passes were gone by noon. We did get FP's for some of the other rides but the stand-by line was over an hour for most.

Donna

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

There really is no "slow" time at Disney. When there are less people coming to the parks,Disney has shorter hours so there are still lots of lines.what you are proposing will be a huge hassle if you are using Disney transportaion-in fact,it will be about an hour between each park,an hour or so to get onto each ride(unless your kids pick the least popular rides) and then another hour to the next park. if you are driving,its pretty doable. We do this around Christmas just to see the decorations at the different parks and we can do all 4 plus a couple of hotels in a day driving from place to place. On the other hand,what's the down side to doing it your way?If its horrible,then stop doing it and go have an ice cream sundae. It oculd work out to be lots of fun and if it isn't fun,do something that is fun

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

I've done the headliners in all four parks a couple of times. It's a loooong day but I enjoy the challenge :-)

A few tips:

If you want to ride Toy Story DHS should be your first park of the day. Arrive well before opening and have one parent hustle over to TSM for FastPasses while the rest of you head to Sunset Blvd. for Rock-n-Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror.

The buses running between the parks are the most efficient way to park hop for AK, DHS and Epcot. For the Magic Kingdom I find it quicker to catch a bus to the Contemporary Resort and walk to the park. The monorails and boats are nicer but take much longer.

Animal Kingdom crowds usually decline fairly quickly around parade time. 3:00-5:00 PM is my favorite time of day here on a four parks day.

Watch the MK calendar for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party nights. The park will close to day guests at 7:00 PM.

It was a snap to do this in late January when crowds were at a 3 on touringplans.com. I was able to hit the headliners in all of the parks, have a rest back and the hotel and finished up around 9:00 PM

It was a little more challenging in late May when crowd levels were at a 7, no break and I was on the go until The MK closed at 11:00 PM.

Good luck!

Edited: 11 June 2012, 17:48
Minnesota
Level Contributor
336 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park Hopping Extravaganza

Ok...I get that it's gonna be a pain but I still think my kids would like the 'adventure'. If you made me guess based on what I know of the parks (which is limited to things I've read...last time I was there was 1988 lol) my oldest will pick a ride in DHS or Epcot and the other two will pick MK. My daughter would MAYBE pick something in AK but I doubt it. Worst case scenario is we hop between three parks.

It's gonna be the last day. It's also going to be entirely up to the wife and I based on how we feel as a family after 11 days of it all. Thanks all!