We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gridiron games in January 2013?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gridiron games in January 2013?

Hello all,

Travelling from Australia and will be in orlando 30th Dec until 6th Jan, 2013. Will there be any gridiron games scheduled during that time, and if so how hard is it to get tickets? Thanks.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

If you are referring to professional football, there are teams in Jacksonville and Miami.

http://www.nfl.com/

Gridiron is not a term we use. It's just football (not to be confused with what other countries call football and we would call soccer). Unless you are referring to something else...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Thanks 1031Orlando. In Australia American football is called gridiron and 'English' football is called soccer - this is so we don't confuse those games with 'true football' ie.Australian Rules football (aka - footy). LOL. But we do love to watch 'gridiron' on TV here, and would love to go to a professional game while in America. We still find the rules a bit confusing though. Cheers.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

yes, and not to be confused with footy, how could I forget that, i've enjoyed watching some of that though sadly didn't get to it in person when visiting your city.

i believe the last regular season games are on the 30th but you'll have to look if they are home or away games.

Jacksonville is about 3 hours drive from Orlando. Miami 4 or so.

College football (which some follow even more passionately) Bowl games will be on around that time. You could catch the Capital One Bowl right here in Orlando - teams to be determined.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Ha, ha 1031Orlando - in that case you didn't go to a footy game with the right people, or to a game with the 'right' teams playing. When in Melbourne, always go to a Collingwood game - 50% of the crowd will be totally crazy Collingwood fans, and the other 50% will be passionately anti-Collingwood (regardless of who the other team is and regardless of who their own particular favourite team is). All non-Colligwood fans love to hate Collingwood. BTW, I barrack for Geelong.

I will look into the College football. Thanks.

cornwall
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

do the bucs not play in tampa?

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Yes, Buccaneers play in Tampa. However, their last game is December 30, and it is in Atlanta. They may or may not even be playing on January 6 as that is when the playoffs start.

Best bet probably would be Capitol One Bowl on New Year's Day in Orlando (college), Gator Bowl (Jacksonville, New Year's Day), or the Outback Bowl (I think), in Tampa, also on New Year's Day. Best to verify all a little more closer to the time.

All regular season college and professional teams are through with their normal games!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Thanks cruzncouple. How would I get tickets to Capitol One Bowl new year's day (orlando)? How much would I expect to pay, and which seats would be best? Thanks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Would keep watching Ticketmaster to see when tickets will be available. Not sure what cost of tickets will be. Imagine you will have to get seats wherever there is availability because majority of tickets will be going to the two schools that will be playing for their fans.

ENJOY!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Thanks cruzncouple - I'll keep an eye on tickmaster.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,451 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gridiron games in January 2013?

Sorry, how could I forget Tampa Bay

I would stay informed on the bowl game myself and cruzncouple mentioned here - the venue's website http://fcsports.com/CapitalOneBowl.aspx