We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Road Trip Eats in Central Florida

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Good Road Trip Eats in Central Florida

There was a great article in the newspaper today regarding eating on the road. For the Orlando area, this is what they said:

"Travel north from Orlando to Jacksonville for a trail of fresh seafood and beautiful scenery. Go east, along Highway 50, and discover the rock shrimp at Dixie Crossroads (dixiecrossroads.com) in the coastal town of Titusville, just a stone's throw from the Kennedy Space Center. Continue up Interstate 95 to New Smyrna Beach and stop at JB's Fish Camp (jbsfishcamp.com) which offers river-fresh blue crabs to devour on a deck overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway. Thirty-five miles northwest is DeLeon Springs State Park, a recreation area with a unique restaurant: the Old Spanish Sugar Mill. On griddles built into the center of each table, patrons fry up their own pancakes using batter brought by the staff. More fun can be found northeast, just off I-95 in St. Augustine, home to Saltwater Cowboys (saltwatercowboys.com). Resembling a sprawling campsite, it has an array of dishes from baby back ribs to breaded alligator tail, along with sunset views over the area's marshland. Head north, just east of Jacksonville, and you're back in shrimp country. After polishing off a plate of the beauties at Singleton's Seafood Shack, you'll face a tough dessert decision: key lime or peanut butter pie?"

These sounded very interesting to me, and I will be sure to check them out next time I'm driving around Central Florida.

Has anyone tried any of these places?

Mentioned in this post
NASA Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
NASA Kennedy Space...
17,185 Reviews
Titusville, FL
Old Spanish Sugar Mill
Old Spanish Sugar Mill
419 Reviews
De Leon Springs, FL
Singleton's Seafood Shack
Singleton's Seafood Shack
883 Reviews
Atlantic Beach, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Titusville
Titusville
Brevard County, FL
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
17,993 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Road Trip Eats in Central Florida

Saltwater Cowboys has been a favorite of ours for 20+ years, but it is hardly unknown to St. Augustine visitors. That author should have dug deeper. Osteen's is a true-hole-in-the-wall and more worthy of being called a good road trip joint. They have fabulous shrimp.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Road Trip Eats in Central Florida

Dixie Crossroads - that's a place I haven't heard of in years. I lived in Orlando for 2 years in the mid-90's and a friend took me for rock shrimp after a beach day in Titusville. There was a long wait to get seated but the food was great. Glad it's still in business and getting recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Titusville
Titusville
Brevard County, FL
3. Re: Good Road Trip Eats in Central Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:17